South Carolina won't bid for North Carolina NCAA games

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) South Carolina athletic director Ray Tanner said the school won't bid for NCAA Tournament men's basketball games removed from North Carolina because of its law limiting protections for LGBT people.

Tanner said Wednesday the area did not have enough full service hotels available for the dates the games would be played next March. The regional was supposed to be played in Greensboro, North Carolina, but the NCAA removed that and several other championship events from the state last week.

The NCAA had set a deadline of Sept. 27 for submitting bids to host the displaced contests.

Tanner said the university and the Columbia Regional Sports Council have bid for NCAA Tournament games from 2019 through 2022.

---

AP College Basketball website: www.collegebasketball.ap.org

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide—from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Andy Staples, Grant Wahl, and more—delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.