COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) Steve Spurrier made college football news conferences - which can range from tedious to sleep-inducing - into must-see events.
The Head Ball Coach had plenty of targets for his zingers.
Back in his Florida days, it was Tennessee, Georgia and Florida State. He tweaked NFL coaches for losing despite working around the clock. After he came to South Carolina, he also took aim at Clemson.
Spurrier would sometimes put on a show. He faked his own arrest when star Jadeveon Clowney was briefly put in handcuffs because he fit the description of a burglar.
And the barbs were always seemed funnier because they were delivered in Spurrier's east Tennessee twang with his trademark smirk.
Some of Spurrier's best quotes over the years, along with some video links:
''You know what FSU stands for, don't you? Free Shoes University.''
- Spurrier on rival Florida State after several Seminoles got in trouble for accepting free sneakers.
''I know why Peyton came back for his senior year. He wanted to be a three-time star of the Citrus Bowl.''
- Spurrier on Tennessee quarterback Peyton Manning and the Volunteers struggle to win the SEC title.
''Is Ray Goff still the coach there?''
- Spurrier when asked if Florida could beat Georgia. Spurrier went 6-0 against the Bulldogs coach, winning by an average score of 41-17.
''I saw a story saying Jim Haslett comes in at 4:30 every morning - that's not doing him much good.''
- Spurrier at his 2002 farewell news conference at Florida, talking about the coach of the Saints coach, who just finished a 7-9 season. Spurrier would be hired by the Washington Redskins 10 days later, going 12-20 in two seasons.
''You get a picture of him on the Internet. `What did he do? What did he do? He's arrested. He's going in the jar.' It wasn't the case. Hopefully all the Gamecocks can learn a person can get handcuffed. Police are just doing their jobs. It's no big deal. Now if they take you downtown and keep you two or three days, we've got some issues, right chief?''
- Spurrier after police briefly handcuffed Jadeveon Clowney as they investigated a crime at a bar in March 2011. The news conference included Spurrier's fake arrest by the Columbia police chief.
Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BdrjDAfFJY
''Kentucky has a heck of a punter. I know that.''
- Spurrier after South Carolina beat Kentucky 54-3 in October 2011.
Watch here: http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/100811aaa.html
''We had a big win over that team from the Upstate recently. It was a very close game. Went into the fourth quarter. Our defense very well - offense. Our kicker made his kicks. And we were able to beat Wofford 24-7 at Williams-Brice. Big win ... But they didn't give us a trophy for beating Wofford. We had to beat that other team from the Upstate.''
- Spurrier trolls Clemson while talking to the crowd at a South Carolina basketball game in December 2012.
Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-3J7TemiTc
''Receivers, they couldn't catch a cold in the middle of February. Defensive backs, gosh, I wonder why they got grass stains all over their jerseys. They fall just about every play. Our kickers, geez, it's like the Army. Left, right, left right ... ever heard a coach say that in preseason?''
- Spurrier mocking coaches who brag about their teams during preseason practice, Aug. 12, 2015.
Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkOIAD2eI0A
When asked if Missouri might have had South Carolina's offensive plays after the Gamecocks 24-10 loss this year:
''Wasn't that hard to figure was it? Yeah, wasn't that hard to figure. When you only have two run plays and you signal them in with one guy it probably looked that way.''
Watch here: https://youtu.be/EnHAHP0fcAI
''One of my goals personally as a coach is to never get fired.''
- Spurrier at SEC media days in July 2014
Watch here: https://youtu.be/18rZzsP5UE4