Can undefeated Temple topple Notre Dame? Mike Kern of the Philadelphia Daily News joins to size up the Owls' chances.
Who would have guessed that Temple-Notre Dame would be the must-watch game of Week 9? But with the Owls off to a 7–0 start and the Fighting Irish at 6–1, this clash now has major implications for the College Football Playoff and the New Year’s Six bowls.
Hosts Zac Ellis and Lindsay Schnell break down some of the biggest results from Week 8 before Mike Kern of the Philadelphia Daily News joins to discuss the Temple-Notre Dame matchup. Zac and Lindsay also make their picks for some of Week 9’s other notable games.
Here’s the full list of topics and games they discuss:
• Clemson 58, Miami 0: What’s next for the Hurricanes after Al Golden’s firing?
• Georgia Tech 22, Florida State 16: Does this loss knock the Seminoles out of the playoff race? Can the Yellow Jackets rebound to avoid a disappointing season?
• USC 42, Utah 24: With no undefeated team now, is the Pac-12 at risk of getting shut out of the playoff?
• Ole Miss 23, Texas A&M 3: Can the Aggies solve their dysfunctional quarterback situation? Can the Rebels still win the SEC West?
• What has the fan response been like in Philadelphia to Temple’s surprising start? Are fans embracing the Owls ahead of the showdown with Notre Dame?
• What’s led Temple to its first 7–0 start in program history? Can the Owls maintain this level of progress as a program?
• How does Temple’s stout defense compare to some of the best defenses in the Power Five? Are the Owls feeling confident after their undefeated start or has pressure set in to keep it going?
• Will coach Matt Rhule leave Temple after this season? Would that jeopardize the Owls’ continued success?
• Would Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly consider returning to college? Would jobs could entice him to return from the NFL?
• Could one of the three undefeated teams in the American Athletic Conference make a run to the playoff? What would need to happen elsewhere for that to occur?
• Can Temple take down Notre Dame? The Owls are seeking their first win over a top 10 in program history. Can they get it Saturday or will the Irish prove too tough?
• Stanford at Washington State: Can the Cougars continue their surprising surge and take over the top spot in the Pac-12 North? Will Stanford win out this season to make the playoff?
• Georgia vs. Florida: How will the Gators rebound from their first loss of the season, a 35–28 defeat to LSU? Florida stunned a heavily favored Bulldogs squad in last year’s game. Can Georgia pull the upset this year?