Designated Read: 'Tis the (bowl) season for bitter recriminations
• Bowltyme! Travesties upon travesties abound! (And that's just the Belk Bowl lineup!) Your full 2011-2012 college football bowl schedule is available for perusal, and there's just so much to unpack. The Coaches' and Harris Poll ballots are out and open to dissection, and if you'd like somebody to do your dissecting for you, Andy Staples has you covered. Stewart Mandel: "Oh, Sugar Bowl. There you go again." Matt Hinton: "Seriously: Voting on the better football team? Are we still doing this? We're really going to do it again? Deferring to polls and algorithms in a competition that keeps score?" Boise State: Shut out of the BCS despite a top 10 finish for the fourth time. The Urbz Bowl: A real thing now.
• Fresh coaches, bought and sold! A reminder: Our Canned Coaches Cubby post will tally each fired coach this offseason. Latest additions: Steve Fairchild and Pat Hill. (Hill's mustache declined comment.) Now, to the hires (deeeep breath): Hugh Freeze to Ole Miss, Carl Pelini to FAU, Garrick McGee to UAB and Curtis Johnson to Tulane. In non-firing news: Mike Price to remain at UTEP for the moment, Mack Brown hanging on at Texas and Houston would very much like to keep Kevin Sumlin with the Cougars. Good luck with that. In possible departures: Three Auburn assistants have been out on the interviewing trail, though two of them have already lost out (and that's frankly lucky for all involved parties). And three Pittsburgh assistants are leaving the Panthers for points west.
• A coaching post of a more serious nature: Condolences to the family of former Ohio State assistant Joe Daniels, who passed away over the weekend. Our very best wishes to the OSU football community.
• Not if I dismiss you first, sirrah! The Big East fires back in the battle of Who Can Dismiss A Lawsuit More Snippily with WVU.
• Hardware hour: Boston College's Luke Kuechly is your 2011 Butkus Award winner, beating out Dont'a Hightower, Courtney Upshaw and Manti Te'o.
• Roster blotter: All-quarterbacking edition: Matt Barkley has filed for draft evaluation, Dayne Crist will take advantage of the graduate transfer rule to leave Notre Dame and Jake Heaps will part company from BYU.Monday whimsy: pick-a-playoff target="_blank">bellowy return to Clemson got moves for miles this Schnelly profile Larry Scott become Emperor Scott as bad at math