FAQ: Pinstripe Bowl
The 2011 Pinstripe Bowl is just days away. We're sure you have so many questions. We're here to help. (For an Xs and Os breakdown, check out Zac Ellis' game preview.)
• What's all this, then? Last year, football games at Yankee Stadium were a new and much be-hyped thing. This year it's just a field mashed into a baseball diamond, hype not included.
• But to be fair, as football games in baseball diamonds go, this is still light-years ahead of that infamously cramped Northwestern-Illinois game at Wrigley Field in 2010, correct? Correct.
• When is it on television? Kickoff is scheduled for 3:20 p.m. on Friday, December 30. The game will be televised on ESPN.
• Whom does it feature? Designated conference tie-ins for the one year of this bowl's existence are the Big East, Big 12 and Notre Dame.
• What about this year? We get 8-4 Rutgers versus 6-6 Iowa State.
• Who will call the game? Chris Fowler, Jesse Palmer and Tom Rinaldi will bring the action from New York to your living room.
• What on earth is Chris Fowler doing calling a bowl game for two teams with 10 losses between them? Think of ESPN, in this moment, as Gretchen Wieners in Mean Girls, attempting to make "fetch" happen.
• Who sponsors the game? New Era Cap Company.
• Don't they make baseball hats? Also other kinds of hats!
• So this is football brought to us by baseball on several levels. It is very important to some people with lots and lots of money that college football in New York City be A Thing. Think of it as drowning broccoli in cheese before feeding it to a recalcitrant child.
• Wait. College football should be the cheese. Baseball is healthy and cruciferous and I hate it. The metaphor could use some work.
• Enough about the football. What about the loot? Game organizers never released bowl gift information to the public. We're envisioning a gift suite composed entirely of hats and mini-helmets, though.
• Please impart any miscellaneous knowledge you might have concerning the 2011 Pinstripe Bowl. The Big East has an all-time undefeated record in this game! Quite a feather in its cap! See what we did there? In all seriousness: The game will turn one year old this Friday; if it were a baby we would be expecting it to sit up unassisted and look for dropped or hidden objects.Stay tuned for more postseason FAQ sheets, and stay on top of a hectic postseason slate with our complete 2011-2012 College Football Bowl Schedule .