FAQ: Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl
The 2011 Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl is just a day away. We're sure you have so many questions. We're here to help. (For an Xs and Os breakdown, check out Stewart Mandel's game preview.)
• What's all this, then? Welcome, one and all, to the 10th annual Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl!
• Can they even say that when the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl is exactly one year old? They can, apparently. The former Emerald Bowl turned over title sponsorship in 2010.
• Any particular reason I should feel bad for making fun of this bowl's clunky name? There is, actually!
Once again, Kraft Foods is working with Feeding America, the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief organization, to fight hunger but the 2011 goal is to help donate 25 million meals. Ultimately, this donation will help the more than 50 million Americans who live in food insecure households.
• Totally fine to be petrified of its mascots, though, right? Absolutely. Don't stand with your back to any ballroom during bowl week activities, lest the Kool-Aid man and a bipedal Oreo creep up on you.
• Where will this game be played? San Francisco's AT&T Park, permanent home of the baseball Giants and temporary home of Cal football during stadium renovations.
• When is it on television? Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, December 31. The game will be televised on ESPN.
• Whom does it feature? It varies; current contracts tie the Pac-12 to San Francisco with a rotating opponent.
• What about this year? It's 6-6 Illinois versus 6-7 UCLA. Bobby Rainey, the nation's second-leading rusher behind LaMichael James, could have gone to a bowl game with his Hilltoppers; instead, the Bruins' cause was deemed more valuable.
• Don't these teams not even have head coaches in this bowl game? They do not, and by the time kickoff rolls around, the Illini may be down a few assistants, as well.
• Who will call the game? Carter Blackburn, Brock Huard and Shelley Smith all seem like very nice people who don't deserve to have to watch this game, even for money.
• Enough about the football. What about the loot? Lookit the fancy sleeves on them Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl shirts!
• What mild indignities/wacky activities will visiting teams be subjected to while in town? Participating players toured Alcatraz and were treated to a wine tasting at their respective hotels!
• That sounds like fun. Can I still go? Well, kickoff is less than 24 hours away, so I wouldn't get your hopes WHY HELLO, $19 TICKETS ON STUBHUB.
• Please impart any miscellaneous knowledge you might have concerning the 2011 Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. As you can sort of see in this game photo, both teams have to share a single sideline thanks to the curious confines of playing in a baseball park. And while the new game is For A Good Cause, we'll forever miss the old Emerald Bowl's GIANT FOOTBALL MENACES SAN FRANCISCO logo.Stay tuned for more postseason FAQ sheets, and stay on top of a hectic postseason slate with our complete 2011-2012 College Football Bowl Schedule .