Highlights from Mike Leach's AMA
Mike Leach took your questions Monday afternoon on Reddit. If you'd prefer not to wade through the massive volume of reading material that session spawned, we've collected a few of our favorite responses below.
• What made you decide to go with the spread offense before pretty much anyone else was using it?
We borrowed from the wishbone because they were good at distributing the football to all of the different skill positions. Then we spread it out so we could attack the whole field. When it comes to football, you have three resources: time, space, and personnel. You want to use all of them as effectively as possible.
• Was 70 really necessary?
Ask Nebraska that ... they have done it to others for years! Also, I was thinking about the 63 they put on me the first season we were at Texas Tech!
Seriously though, you have an obligation as a coach to coach your team to play to the best of their ability. Your backup players deserve the opportunity to go out and make plays in a game as well.
• I'm a Freshman at Washington State and I'm new to Pullman. I've got a first date with a girl and I was wondering if you might have some recommendations?
First take her to CDs Pit House BBQ in Moscow, ID. If she will get her hands dirty with some great BBQ, you will know you are on the right track!
• Also, can you please do another local weather segment? I loved what you did in Lubbock trading a play call for a weather segment.
I don't think it is an accident that I haven't been asked to do the weather again! I did the best I could at the time but I will leave it to the professionals. As it stands now, I walk outside in my underwear in the morning and try to gauge it the best I can.
• How much do you hate Craig James, I mean seriously?
I think my opinion is consistent with most of the rest of America's. This is illustrated by a poll done in the Dallas Morning News where people were asked who they would vote for senator: Mike Leach or Craig James. I got 96.5 percent of the vote.
• On a possibly related note, is Bill Snyder really a sorcerer?
I suspect Bill Snyder may be a sorcerer ... he's one of the coaches that I admire most! There's so much more, and it's all more than worth your time. Mike Leach will coach his first game with the Cougars on Saturday, September 1, in his college hometown of BYU. Stay tuned.