HOOVER, Ala. -- Can we just say that whoever scheduled Will Muschamp, Dan Mullen and John L. Smith in the pre-lunch block of SEC Media Days has a pronounced meanness of spirit? That much perkiness needs to be spaced out over the course of a very long day. Muschamp was up first, and for the record, retains that meerkat stare even at this early hour. Highlights from Coach Boom's Q&A session:
• Muschamp called his inaugural season with the Gators a "very frustrating" first year. "We did not get the results we wanted on the field." With such a young team, "It's a minor miracle we won seven games."
• What will be different under Brent Pease, who came over from Boise State to replace Charlie Weis as offensive coordinator: "Well, we'll score some more points."
• On the quarterback battle between Jacoby Brissett and Jeff Driskel: Neither has a real edge for the starting job yet. They'll get equal reps in fall camp. Muschamp doesn't want to pin himself down with a date to name a permanent starter, and that process may stretch into fall. "If we have to play both of 'em, that's what we gotta do."
• Tight end AC Leonard, arrested in February on domestic violence charges, will transfer.
• Muschamp wants to retain the Tigers-Gators series as a permanent rivalry. "I think Florida-LSU is good for our league. It's a national game."
• After being reminded Florida hasn't had a losing season since 1979. "Yeah, I know. I was told a couple times."