Ohio State football coach Francis Schmidt leads practice in 1938: twitter.com/si_vault/statu…
— Andy Gray (@si_vault) August 21, 2012
Tell us these guys don't look like they're about three seconds away from all breaking into song.
• Everything about college football recruiting remains anywhere from vaguely to outright creepy. From the pros to the rest of us.
• What does Collin Klein look for in a date? "Someone just like my mom," he said "--but younger."
• Gross. Something about the NCAA's PR machine invoking the Alabama tornadoes here to burnish its image as a benevolent oligarchy makes us extremely uncomfortable.
• Corwin Brown update. The former Notre Dame assistant has received a four-year suspended sentence following his arrest on domestic battery charges.
Barkley Hill's injury happened on a TD run that was going to be the last play of the scrimmage. AIRBHG is real
— Brian Floyd (@BrianMFloyd) August 21, 2012
• Roster blotter. Reports that Texas has named a starting quarterback are clearly part of an elaborate prank designed to entertain us through the waning offseason ... Steele Jantz will start at QB for Iowa State, which we love because STEELE JANTZ ... Josh Nunes is your Stanford starting QB, looking very Stanfordish ... Texas Tech dismisses LB Daniel Cobb ... Buffalo suspends LB Khalil Mack ... Florida State DT Jacobbi McDaniel will likely take a medical redshirt year ... and Alabama's put long snapper Carson Tinker on scholarship, leading to a scene we would pay dearly to have seen:
Bama's Carson Tinker on being awarded a scholarship: "I gave Coach Saban a hug- not sure he liked that."Misc. Chris Brown at Grantland gets a little saucypants disappears a certain few names suffers insults to his Michigan man-ness Watts Dantzler remains a national treasure doing Bret Bielema things the Nickelback College Football Highlight Challenge
— Rick Karle (@RickKarle) August 22, 2012