• News that is mostly not about football. From a fresh ACC release: "The Atlantic Coast Conference Council of Presidents has unanimously voted to accept the University of Notre Dame as a new member. The Irish will compete as full members in all conference sponsored sports with the exception of football which will play five games annually against league programs." Pete Thamel has more, including the thorny issue of the Fighting Irish's exit date for its sports currently operating in the Big East. We now return to football things.
• It is also a secret music box that plays "Afternoon Delight." In yesterday's Profiles in Profiteroles column we mentioned that the new trophy for the Toledo-Bowling Green Battle of I-75 rivalry hadn't been completed in time for last year's game. It's more than ready now, making a splashy entrance with its own hype video, complete with four Toledo football players flexing their acting chops.
• Injury report story hour. Jordan Wynn impresses in his retirement press conference ... Robert Marve has, you might have suspected, torn another ACL ... TCU defensive end Ross Forrest is likely out the rest of the season with a knee injury ... Syracuse receiver Jeremiah Kobena is out for several weeks with what the school is calling "an upper body injury that required surgery."
• Roster blotter. Ole Miss' Trae Elston will sit out the Texas game, the SEC announced yesterday, for this hit during the Rebels' game against UTEP ... The Pac-12 has suspended Washington State safety Deone Bucannon for half of the Cougars' game against UNLV, for a hit he delivered against Eastern Washington ... Sanders Commings and Chase Vasser are back in action for Georgia ... both of Tyler Wilson's backups are named Brandon ... and why is this not already a viral campaign called "Stickin' with Ficken?" Do we have to do everything for y'all?
• Quotable Coaches, I.
Bill O'Brien keeps the Joe Paterno social media name issues alive with "Spacebook and Tweeter"
• Quotable Coaches, II. Derek Dooley, when asked after Tuesday's practice whether he had the sense Tennessee dwelled too much on Florida's win streak in the past: "No, I got the sense we got our butts whipped. Not because of the streak.”
• Quotable Coaches, III.
Al Borges says Denard is, "as the kids call them, a baller. I don't know what that means."Misc. AL.com here imaginary more than just a scoreboard win solar explosion photo doesn't teach backpedaling double secret ineligible was not allowed to keep the wig SportsCenter "ban reporters who report player injuries" thing #WEHOPEYOUDANCE
— Kyle Meinke (@kmeinke) September 11, 2012