Saturday Superlatives: Burninate the Lions!
Like preseason awards, but for games, and weekly, and just as meaningful. For additional Week 6 content, peruse Andy Staples' Walkthrough.
• Most internetty homecoming. After UAB callously ignored an online movement to model the Blazers' 2012 Homecoming theme on Trogdor the Burninator, one enterprising agent took matters into her own hands. Did we attend UAB? We did not. Are we wearing a homemade "BURNINATE THE LIONS" shirt tomorrow? Do you know us at all?
• Best East Coast brunch game. A pre-noon kickoff in Eastern Time! Navy will start this year's Commander-in-Chief's Trophy series at 11:30 a.m. ET at Air Force.
• Most #SECest #SECturday of the #SECson! We follow the SEC's official Sport Update Twitter feed out of professional necessity. But they can get a little, shall we say, smurfy for our tastes?
RT @secprguy: This week's SECond Helping of #SEC Footballshar.es/5hFIV
— SEC Sports (@SECSportsUpdate) October 5, 2012
No. 4 LSU travels to No. 10 Florida in the afternoon, and No. 5 Georgia plays at No. 6 South Carolina in prime time. Can we just settle this night game by having Marcus Lattimore and Georgia's freshman tailbacking twosome run some sort of Nickelodeon GUTS-based obstacle course? John Jenkins can play the Aggro Crag.
• Biggest unexpected quarterbacks derby. The first of two Oregon-on-Washington Week 6 games pits Wazzu's Connor Halliday against Oregon State's Sean Mannion at 6 p.m. ET. Might be a good time to harangue your cable provider about getting the Pac-12 Networks, if you haven't already. Through 13 career starts, Sean Mannion is already No. 6 on the Beavers' career passing list with 4,416 yards. You can read more on Halliday's development from our friends at CougCenter.
• Best undercard matchup. Miami and Notre Dame have a combined record of 8-1, and the game is in Soldier Field, ensuring people will actually show up for it.
• Most sunniest rivalry. Bill Snyder, proving he really is a purple, clothed Dr. Manhattan in his weekly press appearance:
On Charlie Weis putting renewed emphasis on the rivalry…
“I do not ever remember that it was not a viable game for the University of Kansas, but I am not as close to it as Charlie is. I am sure that he has done some research on that regard. I always thought that it meant a great deal to them, but I do not know the nature of that. I am pretty isolated here. I do not know about the outside world, and I do not know about the KU/MU (Missouri) competition and how that relates to Kansas State.”
• Most enduring darkness. Free to good home: Both teams playing in the Kibbie Dome at the sad kickoff hour of 5 p.m. ET. New Mexico State and Idaho would do best in a loving family environment with children, all of whom have had their shots.
• Best gameday art. Nevada has some thoughts about your regular Saturday roster of non-football-based chores:
The Wolf Pack kicks off against Wyoming at 7:05 p.m. ET.Best nightcap.
Some top-shelf late-night football is on tap this week, with No. 23 Washington (LIVIN' LIKE IT'S SARK WEEK, Y'ALL) traveling to No. 2 Oregon for a 10:30 p.m. ET kick. There's an "official hashtag" being circulated for this game, #UOUW, which sounds eerily like the wordless howls of glee fixing to reverberate around Autzen Stadium.