Farewell, TRENT STEELMAN; more Designated Reads
• Navy 17, Army 13. The Midshipmen take the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy and extend their winning streak over the Black Knights, but don't let this moment pass without a fond farewell to Trent Steelman, who was born to quarterback at Army:
Steelman finishes his college career without ever having beaten Navy, and with sour memories of his final play as a Black Knight. He also finishes with another record to his name and his legacy burnished, both during and after the game. We've written his name in all caps for years, because it just seems to fit. Happy trails, TRENT STEELMAN.
• Assorted trophy happenings. Read Andy Staples' anecdote of the Manziel family's adventures in trademarking ... Manti Te'o garnered more Heisman points than any other purely defensive player in the history of the award ... Te'o added the Lott Trophy to his hardware haul.
• Quote of the day, Heisman edition. From Johnny Manziel's acceptance speech on Saturday night: "To Grandpa ... you inspired me to play football. Grandma, I'm sorry for all the things we broke in the house."
• Silly season, cont'd. Skip the early montage and go straight to the 2:35 mark and watch Butch Jones tell Tennessee's players they'll be running the ball on every down out of the Wing-T.
• Schedule matters. UTEP has booked a road game against Texas A&M for November 2 next season. The Miners will have just five home games in 2013.
• Roster blotters. Three Oregon State players were arrested over the weekend on assault and disorderly conduct charges.
• Tweet of the day, silly season edition. Where's the craftsmanship with kids these days?
C'mon, invest in a stencil RT @insidetroy: That is creative. RT @hoop33: I guess USC fans aren’t happy … #usc twitter.com/hoop33/status/…
— The Solid Verbal (@SolidVerbal) December 8, 2012
• Tweet of the day, silly postseason edition. Seems legit:
We're trying to get an accurate preview of the game so tonight we're gonna let a turkey loose inside Medieval Times more news as it developsMisc. financial oversight Ohio State players are getting address numbers on this street shifts from its Mountaineers' roots
— RussellAthleticBowl (@RussellAthBowl) December 7, 2012