The 2012 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl is just hours away. We’re sure you have so many questions. We’re here to help. (For an X's and O's breakdown, click through to Gabriel Baumgaertner's game preview.)
• What’s all this, then? The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, formerly known as the Humanitarian Bowl (and more importantly, the Crucial.com Humanitarian Bowl), makes its second appearance in the college football postseason galaxy. And for the second consecutive year, it will be the only college football bowl game boasting a logo that features chives.
• Where will this game be played? Boise's Bronco Stadium, home to the Boise State Broncos and their famous blue turf.
• When is it on television? Coverage begins at 4:30 p.m. ET. The game will be televised on ESPN and streamed on WatchESPN. The Potato Bowl apparently does not warrant a 3D broadcast, saddening fans who were looking forward to exploring those pillowy mountains of sour cream from the comfort of their living room sofas.
• Whom does it feature? A most favored bloggy combo: WACtion versus MACtion!
• What about this year? The WAC champion Utah State Aggies will make their second consecutive Potato Bowl and third overall postseason football appearance in Boise. They'll face the Toledo Rockets, who finished third in the MAC West. This is Toledo's first appearance in the Potato Bowl.
• Is there an actual dish called a Potato Bowl available for purchase at the game? We're looking into concession availability, but while we're on the subject, let's visit the Idaho Potato Commission website and its fine collection of potato-based tailgating recipes. There is something called "Deviled Eggs A La Idaho® Potatoes" happening here that certainly looks like a potato bowl-type dish.
• "Potato crusted pizza?" Be not afraid. It's a pizza with a potato crust, not a pizza encrusted with potatoes.
• Who will call the game? Tom Hart, Mike Bellotti and Quint Kessenich will carry the action on the WWL.
• For whom are we to be watching? Gabriel's preview, linked up top, has more football in it, but watch the performance put on by Toledo running back David Fluellen. He has been slowed by injury in recent weeks, depriving us of much-needed satchel jokes.Please impart any miscellaneous knowledge you might have concerning the 2012 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. Doctor Potato Blog