Pick your spring ball nicknames; more Designated Reads
Florida incoming transfer Darious Cummings is going by "Bear" Cummings. What do you guys want to be called?
— Jason Lieser (@PBPjasonlieser) January 15, 2013
• How would he feel about "Bearious" for more formal occasions? If we're all supposed to be taking after forest creatures for a fresh new look for spring 2013, we would like to be referred to from here on as "Killer Otter." Thank you for your attention to this matter.
• And speaking of spring. Army's spring game, which graced our neck of the woods at Fort Benning last year, continues its freshly-established traveling tradition with a March 8 scrimmage set to take place at Fort Hood, Texas.
• The Coliseum just needs a place to crash for a few days, until it gets things figured out. The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Commission is behind in its rent, per the L.A. Times, but once it gets its free-range vegan water bottle business up and running things are really going to turn around. It's not a pyramid scheme. It's not!
• That's a helluva windbreak. Texas Tech approves plans for a "freestanding high-definition video board," theoretically to be installed and operational in time for the 2013 season.
• Coach-hirin' follies! New coordinator announcements since we last typed words in this here box: Former Eastern Michigan defensive coordinator Phil Snow has joined Matt Rhule's staff at Temple as DC ... Arkansas receivers coach George McDonald has resigned, per a quick university release in which Bret Bielema wishes him "the best of luck in the future as an offensive coordinator at a major university," and is reportedly headed to Syracuse ... and if nobody else at any of these five programs makes a move, four Big Ten schools and Oregon will have maintained perfect coaching staff continuity over three seasons.
• Roster blotter. Logan Thomas will forgo the NFL draft for another season with Virginia Tech ... South Carolina's Ace Sanders is draft-bound, probably, per Ace Sanders ... TCU's Stansly Maponga will turn pro, per Stansly Maponga ... LSU's Chris Davenport will reportedly transfer to Tulane for the 2013 season ... Florida's Sharrif Floyd ends his college career in style ... Georgia's Ken Malcome has announced (again) his intent to transfer in the interest of playing time ... Denard Robinson will make one final collegiate gridiron appearance in the Senior Bowl -- as a wide receiver.
• Schedule matters. Navy's 2013 slate of opponents includes dates with Duke, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame and San Jose State.
• Tweet of the day, I. James Franklin eschews delicious ribs for portable dried meats:
Thanks 4 the recommendations 4 lunch in Memphis,prefer the Red Bull & Slim Jims & the opportunity 2 hit 2 more schools during the day! Grind
— James Franklin (@jamesfranklinvu) January 16, 2013
• Tweet of the day, II. We'll miss you, Seth:
My highlight of 2012: Asked Mike Bobo if he'd heard of Honey Boo Boo. My goal for 2013: Ask Todd Grantham if he's watched "Downton Abbey."Misc. coach appearances in television commercials and on, and on James Franklin's business card
— Seth Emerson (@SethEmerson) January 15, 2013