Just like college itself, football season flies by. Sure, we've had lots of good times. But by the time the PowerPoint presentation filled with photos and set to the soundtrack of Vitamin C and Green Day is over, we'll all be crying and high-fiving. We're officially at the halfway point of the 2013 season; if we don't stop to reflect on everything that's happened so far, it'll be Belk Bowl time before we know it.
If you're looking for the additional midseason coverage, check out SI.com's Crystal Ball staff predictions, podcast roundtable, Halfway Heisman, Andy Awards and more. But this is Between The Hashes, where we celebrate more than just yards and standings.
Let's get into it.
This category is for those who stay up all night to secure a spot up front for College GameDay. It's for those who build a drink-serving R2D2 painted in LSU colors. And it's for those who just cheer their fans on, week in and week out. Hashes would be remiss to start off its midseason awards honoring anyone else.
3. Roll Damn Stormtrooper
2. Only in Madison
Madison update: Just saw a guy pushing a stroller. There was a pig inside. #B1G
— Tim Hyland (@IntelligentCFB) September 21, 2013
1. This guy
Go Vols. pic.twitter.com/hpRPD13Hkb
— Luke Stampini (@LukeStampini) September 21, 2013
We'll exclude Les Miles from this section because he has his own category below. But other coaches, fans, players and former players were very quotable in the first half of the season.
Spurrier: "I do feel badly for Arkansas. That’s no fun getting your butt beat at home, homecoming and all that."
— Josh Kendall (@JoshatTheState) October 12, 2013
2. Three first names
Justin Scott-Wesley on how open he was on his TD: "You could've thrown a grenade and the only person who would have died was me."
— Seth Emerson (@SethEmerson) September 8, 2013
1. Just answer the question, coach
After the loss to Oklahoma, Brian Kelly handled this difficult question about as well as he could have: pic.twitter.com/myUHyJ1ofi
— George Schroeder (@GeorgeSchroeder) September 29, 2013
Best of Les
There easily could be 10-plus moments here for The Hat, but we'll keep it to three, and please feel free to peruse prior editions of Hashes or your local Google machine for more. Also, read this profile by Brett Michael Dykes for the New York Times. Here are my three favorite things Miles has done or said this season, but feel free to add your own in the comments.
3. Hammers and nails and competitive hammers and competitive nails
2. Les and the Big Aristotle
Les Miles stops coaching to talk with Shaquille O'Neal. pic.twitter.com/KOYrw7V9xD
— Jay G. Tate (@JayGTate) September 22, 2013
Top #weirdfootball moments
3. The Texas fumble/not fumble(s) near the goal line against Iowa State that prompted this Paul Rhoads tirade
2. The end of that Wisconsin-Arizona State game
1. Berzerk with Brent and Herbie
Upon repeated viewings, the best part of this clip is still Brent asking Eminem if the Lions will cover a spread of 4.5.
Top DAT Tweets
They're all great in their own way, whether they're inspirational, informative, playful or supportive. Keep in mind, this category is only for the first half of this season, so SEEN A DEER and other hall of fame tweets from the past are ineligible. Also, I have left out Instagram pics, although there are plenty with animals to choose from, including ones with his gecko named Gucci and his dogs.
LIFESAVERS GUMMIES IS MY FAVORITE CANDY
— DE'ANTHONY THOMAS (@EATBLACKMOMBA6) July 26, 2013
MAKE ME A APPLE ID
— DE'ANTHONY THOMAS (@EATBLACKMOMBA6) August 24, 2013
ITS SUPER COLD IN COLORADO
— DE'ANTHONY THOMAS (@EATBLACKMOMBA6) October 4, 2013
I NEED SOME CHERRY CHAPSTICK
— DE'ANTHONY THOMAS (@EATBLACKMOMBA6) October 5, 2013
I LOVE ANIMALS I WANT A ZOO WHEN I GROW UP#DATZOO — DE'ANTHONY THOMAS (@EATBLACKMOMBA6) July 30, 2013
Neatest mascot and mascot-related accessory moments
We here at Campus Union love animals and mascots. That's why we created the UGA I – UGA VIII Memorial Mascot Award. Here are the three best moments from this season to date.
3. And she gon' shake it, like a Puddles, li-li-li-li-like a Puddles
(Via SB Nation)
2. Earn your stripes
BEST GAMEDAY DOG EVER!! pic.twitter.com/3vtUc2Kg9c — Keri Potts (@MsPotts_ESPN) September 28, 2013
1. FOX ON THE FIELD
qoaching coaching qalls calls
Coaching is harder than it looks.
3. Western Michigan hasn't had many chances to row the boat, but that hasn't stopped P.J. Fleck from being one of the most interesting coaches in college football.
PJ Fleck era already off to rough start. WMU charged onto the field, oar in hand, midway through National Anthem. Whoops. #RTB
— Brandon Folsom (@Brandon_Folsom) August 30, 2013
2. That time North Carolina ended up having to kick to start both halves because the Tar Heels messed up the coin toss. (The Middle Tennessee game was UNC's only win to this point, so maybe this is a strategy the Heels should employ more often.)
1. Kansas coach Charlie Weis calling for a fake punt on his own 17-yard line.
Midseason Ricky Dobbs All-Stars
As a reminder, the Ricky Dobbs All-Stars are performers with tantalizing stat lines who are just extremely fun to watch outside of team performance, context, record or anything else. (For example, Army running back Terry Baggett's 304 rushing yards against Eastern Michigan.) This top-five list is based on players who are putting up crazy numbers. This is not meant to be college's best players, or guys up for awards of any kind. It's super subjective and basically as unscientific as possible.
• Oregon State quarterback Sean Mannion: 194-of-289, 2,511 passing yards, 25 TD, 3 INT
• Toledo running back David Fluellen: 846 rushing yards, 9 TD; 182 receiving yards
• Baylor wide receiver Antwan Goodley: 25 catches, 669 yards, 6 TD
• Ball State wide receiver Willie Snead: 51 catches, 867 yards, 7 TDBONUS +1 Stanford wide receiver Ty Montgomery: