Crimson Tide Roll Call: August 1, 2019
Today is …
The opening for Alabama’s fall camp. The offseason is officially over.
Countdown to the Crimson Tide’s 2019 opener
Did you notice?
• Wide receiver Julio Jones was No. 9 on the NFL’s Top 100 Players of 2019, as voted by the players. Previously named were No. 30 Eddie Jackson, No. 64 Amari Cooper, No. 71 C.J. Mosley, No. 80 Mark Ingram II and No. 99 Derrick Henry. Landon Collins just missed, finishing at No. 107.
• Former Alabama pitcher Taylor Guilbeau was involved in a trading deadline swap as he was dealt with Aaron Fletcher and Elvis Alvarado by the Washington Nationals to the Seattle Mariners for pitcher Roenis Elias and Hunter Strickland.
• LSU coach Ed Orgeron told a Baton Rouge Rotary audience that if the Tigers manage to snap the eight-game losing streak to Alabama he’ll do the Polynesian Haka dance that defensive tackle Breiden Fehoko uses as part of his pregame ritual.
• Philadelphia Phillies pitcher David Robertson announced that he will have season-ending surgery to repair the flexor tendon in his right elbow, and may need Tommy John surgery to repair his ulnar collateral ligament (which would sideline him for the 2020 season). “I've never had an injury like this before,” he told MLB.com. “I didn't know if it was tendinitis or something that I just needed to push through and work through, and I've been trying my best to do that and it just hasn't happened for me. If anything, I've made it worse. So I'm kind of at that point.”
• Sophomore Kensey McMahom placed fourth at the U.S. Nationals in the 800m
• We’ll leave you with this …
On this date in Crimson Tide history:
August 1, 1983: Richard Todd was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated. The magazine took an in-depth look at the former Alabama quarterback following another Crimson Tide legend Joe Namath as the starting quarterback of the New York Jets.
Crimson Tide quote of the day:
"I know there's tremendous expectations here for what you would like to accomplish with this football program. I can tell you that however you feel about it, I have even higher expectations for what we want to accomplish. I want to win every game we play.” — Nick Saban