Crimson Tide Roll Call: August 16, 2019
Today is … National Tell a Joke Day
Countdown to the Crimson Tide’s 2019 opener
Did you notice?
• Justin Thomas shot a bogey-free 65 to tie the course record and share the lead after the first round of the BMW Championship in Medinah, Ill. However, during his post-round press conference he said “I couldn’t hit the ball,” about his warm-up. “I had no idea what I was doing.”
• Former Alabama left tackle Chris Samuels will be inducted into the Washington Redskins’ Ring of Fame this season. The date for the ceremony has not been determined.
• Quinnen Williams says hello to the Atlanta Falcons:
• ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay’s preseason draft board, which only had 32 names on it, included six Crimson Tide players: 1. Tua Tagovailoa, 2. Jerry Jeudy, 11. Henry Ruggs III, 18. Trevon Diggs, 19. Raekwon Davis and 21. Terrell Lewis. “Simply put, Tagovailoa is a special talent,” he said.
• Yeah, we miss him …
• The SEC announced its Alabama broadcast schedule for the upcoming 2019 soccer and volleyball seasons:
Sept. 22 at Arkansas – 2 p.m. CT (SEC Network)
Oct. 17 at Ole Miss – 6 p.m. CT (SEC Network)
Sept. 24 at Texas A&M – 8 p.m. CT (ESPNU)
Oct. 2 at Auburn – 7 p.m. CT (SEC Network)
Oct. 9 vs. Mississippi State – 6 p.m. CT (ESPNU)
Sunday, Oct. 27 at South Carolina – 12 p.m. CT (ESPNU)
Sunday, Nov. 17 at Arkansas – 12 p.m. CT (SEC Network)
• This one’s pretty good …
• The 5th annual Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah 5K for Cystic Fibrosis, with honorary race starter Scott Cochran, will be held Saturday morning in downtown Tuscaloosa. For more information:
• We’ll leave you with this …
On this date in Crimson Tide history:
August 16, 1942: According to Birmingham journalist Naylor Stone, lieutenant Tom Borders, a Crimson Tide football player from 1939-40, was credited with shooting down the first German plane in Allied bomber-raids. Borders, a Birmingham native, was being hailed as a hero through the state, but sadly was killed in action several months later. – Bryant Museum
Crimson Tide quote of the day:
“The last thing he made us do before the game was get off the bus and put on those old, woolen, hot jerseys.” – Harry Gilmer about playing for coach Frank Thomas.