Crimson Tide Roll Call: August 26, 2019
Today is … National Just Because Day
Today’s Crimson Tide schedule
No games scheduled
How to watch, keep up with the Crimson Tide
No games scheduled
Crimson Tide results
• Soccer: Alabama 3, Utah 0
Countdown to the Crimson Tide’s 2019 opener
Did you notice?
• Justin Thomas finished tied for third at PGA’s Tour Championship, won by Rory McIlroy at East Lake in Atlanta. Thomas finished at -13, but began the tournament at -10 due to being seeded first in the event with a unique stroke-adjusted start. Regardless, McIlroy posted the lowest score of the week, starting the tournament at 5- under, finished at 18-under, meaning he was 13-under without the advantage.
• Crimson Tide pitcher Dylan Smith finished his summer league with a 2.37 ERA (5 ER/19.0 IP) and tallied 28 strikeouts compared to five walks while helping lead the Amsterdam Mohawks to the Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League championship. He was named second-team All-League.
• Former Crimson Tide offensive lineman B.J. Stabler (2005-07) confirmed on social media that he’s accepted a new job at Alabama. More information as it becomes available.
• Two-time Junior Olympic gymnastics qualifier Isabella Martin has reportedly committed to Alabama:
• Shaquera Wade, Alabama’s No. 7 all-time steals leader, signed a professional contract with Esperance Sportive Pully in Switzerland. She’s one of five former women’s Crimson Tide players to land a professional contract in the last two years."Honestly, I’m very excited about this opportunity to play professional basketball," Wade said in a statement. "It’s a blessing to continue to play the game that I love and also travel and see a different part of the world. I can’t wait to be a part of my new team in Switzerland.”
• We'll leave you with this: Former Alabama and NFL fullback Le’Ron McClain apparently took to Twitter over the weekend to plead for help over head trauma he believes he got from years of football: “I have to get my head checked. Playing fullback since high school. Its takes too [expletive] much to do anything. My brain is [expletive] tired.... @NFL i need some help with this [expletive]. Dark times and its showing. [expletive] help me please!! They dont care I had to get lawyers man! Like im mad im pissed im crying im upset im a [expletive] mess!!!! Please man."
On this date in Crimson Tide history:
August 26, 1930: Wallace Wade, who was entering his final year as head coach of Alabama, said "toting ice, chopping down trees, working in steel mills and other laborious tasks do not put athletes in a good frame of mind for football. When they don their moleskins in September, they are stiff and pep-less if they have had that type of summer regimen. I prefer regular exercise programs with emphasis on running." – Bryant Museum
Crimson Tide quote of the day:
August 26: “Mama wanted me to be a preacher. I told her coachin’ and prechin’ were a lot alike.” – Paul W. “Bear” Bryant