Crimson Tide Roll Call: July 13, 2019
Today is …
National French Fry Day
Countdown to the Crimson Tide’s 2019 opener
Did you notice?
• Per AL.com, former Alabama linebacker Rolando McClain is pushing to make an NFL comeback this season. He hasn’t played in the league since 2015.
• SI.com wrapped up its list of the top 100 players in college football this season, releasing final 10. Defensive end Raekwon Davis was tenth, wide receiver Jerry Jeudy was fourth and quarterback Tua Tagovailoa was second. It had previously announced No. 16 Dylan Moses, No. 24 Trevon Diggs, No. 32 Alex Leatherwood, No. 39 Jaylen Waddle, No. 61 Anfernee Jennings, No. 71 Najee Harris and No. 86 Xavier McKinney. Notably absent were Jedrick Wills Jr., Terrell Lewis, Patrick Surtain II and Henry Ruggs III.
• Another big win for an Alabama golf commitment:
• Alabama swimming and diving posted a preview of some of the new facilities:
• Per swimswam.com, Meg Peel, the NCAA Division II runner-up last season in the 200-yard backstroke for Hope College in Holland, Michigan, will transfer to Alabama.
• This might be the tweet of the day for Alabama basketball fans:
On this date in Crimson Tide history:
July 13, 1966: At his annual mid-summer press gathering at Lake Martin, Paul “Bear” Bryant said "the biggest problem we'll have this year is battling fatheadness and the biggest thing we have going for us is confidence. Those little boogers don't think they can lose."
Crimson Tide quote of the day:
"I'm not talking to you. I'm talking to the ground." —Tony Brown, who was born on this date in 1995, on how he would try and not get into trouble with Nick Saban for trash-talking to receivers during practice.