Crimson Tide Roll Call: June 18, 2019
Today is …
National Go Fishing Day and National Splurge Day. If you really want to go crazy you can splurge on fishing.
Countdown to the Crimson Tide’s 2019 opener
Did you notice?
• Nick Saban told Cecil Hurt of the Tuscaloosa News that quarterback Tua Tagovailoa has “dropped about 15 pounds” since spring practice and the team appears to be in good shape heading into summer workouts. “Everyone is in and we don’t have anyone who won’t be able to participate to some degree,” Saban said.
• Defensive back Nadab Joseph, who verbally committed to Alabama in 2018 only to sign at Georgia and end up at a junior college, has received another scholarship offer from the Crimson Tide:
• Legendary sports writer Mark Blaudschun, from our TMG site, predicts Alabama vs. Clemson again in the national title game, the same matchup that Phil Steele foresees. While Blaudschun likes the Tigers, Steele believes Nick Saban will win yet another ring.
• Three former Alabama players made PFF’s list of NFL team killers, players who seem to have a team’s number for whatever reason. Julio Jones is one of them, but the other two are Eddie Lacy and Evan Mathis.
• USA Today says expect to see a more Derrick Henry this season:
• Hey, that’s Kira Lewis Jr. …
• Hey that’s Montana Fouts heading to the Achilles Challenge with the under-19 women’s national team along with Skylar Wallace and Alabama signee Lexi Kilfoyl
• We’ll leave you with this …
On this date in Crimson Tide history:
June 18, 1988: The first annual all-star game between high school players from Alabama and Mississippi was held at Ladd Memorial Stadium in Mobile. Alabama won the All-Star Classic in triple overtime, 24-21.
Crimson Tide quote of the day:
"We could play football for another 500 years and not catch up to Alabama's tradition" — Pat Dye in 2017