Crimson Tide Roll Call: June 27, 2019
Today is …
National Handshake Day
Countdown to the Crimson Tide’s 2019 opener
Did you notice?
• Nick Saban got a nice shout-out during Vanderbilt baseball’s national championship celebration. When asked about his coach Tim Corbin, Commodores pitcher said, “He’s like Saban.”
• For the fourth straight year Alabama led the SEC’s Spring Academic Honor Roll, posting 126 accolades. The rowing team led the way with 35, the most of any program in the SEC this spring. Women’s track had 25, baseball 16, men’s tennis nine and women’s tennis seven. To earn a place on the honor roll, a student-athlete must earn a 3.0 or better grade point average for either the preceding academic year or their career and be a sophomore or better in academic standing.
• Today’s weight room highlight we turn to offensive lineman Deonte Brown:
• Alabama defensive coordinator Pete Golding tops the list by Ben Kercheval of CBSSports.com of coaches to keep an eye on in “Searching for the next Dabo Swinney.”
• So how did Alabama softball coach Patrick Murphy win over Tennessee fan Jenna Johnson to play outfield for the Crimson Tide? FloSports.com has the unusual story.
• You can’t be more consistent than this in golf (Michaela Morard of Huntsville is an Alabama 2020 commitment):
• We’ll leave you with this …
… and this:
On this date in Crimson Tide history:
June 27, 1980: Former Alabama wide receiver Freddie Milons was born in Starkville, Miss.
Crimson Tide quote of the day:
"I've made so many mistakes that if I don't make the same mistakes over, we're going to come pretty close to winning." — Paul W. “Bear” Bryant