Crimson Tide Roll Call: June 30, 2019
Today is …
National Meteor Watch Day
Countdown to the Crimson Tide’s 2019 opener
Did you notice?
• Eryk Anders knocked out Vinicius Moreira in the first round during UFC Fight Night at the Target Center in Minneapolis.
• Golfweek profiled Alabama commitment Carly Whittington, who is forgoing her final year of high school to play for the Crimson Tide a year early.
• Speaking of Crimson Tide golf commitments:
• Numerous former Alabama players are trying to land spots in the XFL:
• At the Women’s World Cup, former Alabama player Merel Van Dongen played the entire match as the Netherlands defeated Italy 2-0 to advance to the semifinals.
• Kira Lewis Jr. scored seven points during his 16 minutes played as the USA Men’s U19 World Cup Team raced past New Zealand 111-71 in its opening game of the 2019 FIBA U19 World Cup in Heraklion, Greece.
On this date in Crimson Tide history:
June 30, 1950: Coach Red Drew called halfback Bobby Marlow, a hard-charging runner from Troy, a player to watch for the upcoming season. Another promising newcomer was Bobby Wilson out of Bay Minette. In practice last year, Wilson reportedly had a punt go 94 yards.— Bryant Museum
Crimson Tide quote of the day:
"It was gut check time. We looked at each other. We knew this could be it. When they broke the huddle, everything got silent. Boy, talk about gut checks." —Barry Krauss after the goal-line stand against Penn State