Crimson Tide Roll Call: October 16, 2019
Today is … National Sports Day (ironic, since no Crimson Tide teams have anything scheduled)
Today’s Crimson Tide schedule
• No games scheduled
Crimson Tide results
• No games scheduled
Did you notice?
• Alabama gave fans another taste for how the new LED lights at Bryant-Denny Stadium will look:
• Former Alabama wide receiver Gehrig Dieter has returned to the Kansas City Chiefs, signing to be on the practice squad after dealing with a back injury.
• Three former Crimson Tide players were selected on the first day of the inaugural XFL draft, with Cyrus Kouandjio and Arie Kouandjio both taken by the New York Guardians, and former linebacker Adrian Hubbard by the Los Angeles Wildcats.
• The victim of a bar shooting at High Tide off the Strip late Monday night was former Crimson Tide tight end Malcolm Faciane, who was working as a bouncer. According to Stephanie Taylor of the Tuscaloosa News, Faciane was shot in the arm and treated at DCH Regional Medical Center. The shooter was in custody.
• Juwan Simpson is back in Calgary one final time …
• Women’s basketball was picked to finish 11th in the SEC this season. South Carolina was predicted to win the league by panel of both SEC and national media. Alabama didn’t have a player named to the preseason first- or second-team All-SEC. The women’s SEC media day is Thursday in Birmingham. The men get their turn Wednesday.
• Transfer Kasim Hill, a former starter at Maryland who is sitting out this season, is playing the role of Tua Tagovailoa for the Tennessee scout team this week.
• We’ll leave you with this …
On this date in Crimson Tide history:
October 16, 1976: Alabama ran its string of consecutive victories over Tennessee to six with a 20-13 win at Neyland Stadium before 82,417 fans. Quarterback Jack O'Rear, who misfired on his only two pass attempts, ran for 119 yards on 18 carries in the wishbone offense. Safety Mike Kramer led the defense with eight tackles and a blocked punt to set up the Crimson Tide’s second touchdown. With the game tied at 13, fullback Calvin Culliver, scored the game-winning points on a 6-yard run in the fourth quarter.
Crimson Tide quote of the day:
Oct. 16: "I will not wear that gaudy orange, I will not. It is not my color wheel and I'm not gonna wear it.” — Leanne Tuohy, played by actress Sandra Bullock, in the movie “The Blind Side.”