Crimson Tide Roll Call: Sept. 2, 2019
Today is … Labor Day and V-J Day
Today’s Crimson Tide schedule
• No games scheduled
Crimson Tide results
• Soccer: Alabama 5, Lamar 0
Did you notice?
• Making his first start at Oklahoma, Alabama graduate Jalen Hurts completed 20 of 23 passes for 332 yards, ran for 176 yards on 16 carries and helped the Sooners gain 686 total yards against Houston. The quarterback passed for three touchdowns and ran for three more, and his 508 total yards were the fifth-most in school history.
• FloTrack.org rated Alabama senior Gilbert Kigenas the top cross-country runner in the nation this season.
• Pitcher Jimmy Nelson rejoined the Milwaukee Brewers on Sunday. Meanwhile, the Philadelphia Phillies moved pitcher Adam Morgan to the 60-day injured list.
• The PGA Tour doesn’t have an event this week, but it sent this out anyway:
• After becoming the first women’s Crimson Tide player to win a match in grand slam event, Alexa Guarachi saw her run at the U.S. Open come to an end. After two wins she and Bernada Bera lost to Caroline Dolehide and Vania King (USA) 6-3, 7-6(4) in the women’s doubles round of 16.
On this date in Crimson Tide history:
September 2, 1978: In its earliest kickoff date yet, Alabama, behind the Redwood Forest defense, dominated Nebraska 20-3 at Legion Field. Quarterback Jeff Rutledge was picked as the ABC Player of the Game.
Crimson Tide quote of the day:
“Proper conditioning is that fleeting moment between getting ready and going stale.” – Frank Thomas