The situation with Tua Tagovailoa in Miami took a couple of interesting turns as the franchise quarterback was benched last week against Denver, but is expected to start against the New York Jets on Sunday.
The former Alabama quarterback completed just 11 of 20 passes for 83 yards and a touchdown against the Broncos.
Ryan Fitzpatrick was 12-for-18 for 117 yards and one interception in relief.
Miami lost 20-13.
"Yeah, I would say my confidence level as a person, it never varies," Tagovailoa said during his weekly Zoom media session Wednesday. "It stays the same to me. And with whatever happened in the Broncos game, it was really for the benefit of the team. ...
"For me there's no looking behind me or to the left or to the right, it's what I can do to help our guys be successful. We have another week another opportunity to do that.
One college trend that has continued into the NFL is Tagovailoa having a tendency to hold on to the ball too long. Of the six sacks he took last week, half were of that variety.
However, the rookie also wasn't getting a lot of help from his receivers and offensive line, either.
“It's not me playing like I'm scared or anything," Tagovailoa said. "It's me trusting what I see. If I don't see the guy open, I'm not gonna throw it. And that's really how it's been in the games and also in practice. So it's one of those things where you'v just got to practice. You see it, you practice, get throws with guys and tight coverages and tight windows, and then you kind of dictate how you felt through that and if you didn't like it, then it won't happen in the game. That's kind of how I see it.”
Even though Tagovailoa reportedly jammed the thumb of his throwing hand on Wednesday and ended up on the Dolphins' injury report, at least with the 0-10 Jets he should get a nice all-around boost, both in terms of statistics and emotionally.
For more on whether the Dolphins should have pulled Tagovailoa, check out AllDolphins.
Week 12 Fantasy Football Rankings
Please note: SI Fantasy+ subscribers can customize their weekly rankings with their specific league settings & scoring (select Customize More above the rankings list). If you haven't yet joined, subscribe now.
- Start 'Em, Sit 'Em
- Week 12 PPR Rankings
- RUNNING BACKS
- WIDE RECEIVERS
- TIGHT ENDS
- FLEX ➕
- TEAM DEFENSES
- Waiver Wire Pickups by Bill Enright
- Droppables by Frankie Taddeo
- Week 11 Reaction & Week 12 Preview by Roy Larking
- Monday Morning Rankings by Bill Enright
- Subscribe to the SI Fantasy Podcast
DFS & Betting Articles
- Get The Picks (Vegas Whispers & UFC Plays 11/25 to 11/30)
- Thanksgiving Day Betting Breakdown by Frankie Taddeo
- Thanksgiving "Ambush" DFS Breakdown by Steve Renner
- Subscribe to the SI Gambling Podcast
DFS Reports by Shawn Childs
- QUARTERBACKS 🗝️
- RUNNING BACKS 🗝️
- WIDE RECEIVERS 🗝️
- TIGHT ENDS 🗝️
More From Our Team
- 2020-21 College Basketball Betting Preview by Roy Larking
- Fantasy Assistant ➕
- NFL DFS Optimized Lineups and SI-Scores 🗝️
- Trade Analyzer
- Rate My Team
- Who Should I Start?
- Waiver Trends
- Trade Value Charts
- Snaps and Targets Tool
- Points Allowed
- Targets | Top Player Adds | Top Player Drops | Head to Head Stats
What's the difference between Plus & Pro?
- SI Fantasy+ provides season-long fantasy sports coverage.
- SI Fantasy Pro provides daily fantasy sports & gambling coverage.
This story will be updated on Friday