Hondoâ€™s News and Notes from the Lions Training Camp
- First let me say that I gave Mark Dantonioâ€™s right hand man Brad Lunsford junk for his selection of music for football practice.Â (On a side note he has redeemed himselfâ€¦more on that later) Today the Lions played the old time song with the words, â€œThatâ€™s the sound of a man, working on the chain gang,â€ over and over.Â I am sorry Brad.
- Things were heated today.Â At one point Buster Davis in some red zone work lit up a couple of receivers and Kitna started yelling at him.Â â€œThatâ€™s good Buster, good job Buster,â€ as he approached him.Â Davis yelled back, â€œI donâ€™t care about you,â€ and it escalated.Â People came between them Davis walked away from him.Â â€œShut up Buster,â€ was Kitnaâ€™s parting words.Â Kitna got some props from his teammates, but Roy Williams didnâ€™t like it.Â
- I asked him (Roy) about it and he said, â€œI donâ€™t want to see him do that, walk away.â€Â Roy wasnâ€™t throwing Kitna under the bus he just didnâ€™t want to see his QB get injured.
- During the altercation, Drew Stanton started heading towards the sea of white jerseyâ€™s (defense) where Kitna was.Â All I could think about was his going on the field when the Spartans played Idaho and a skirmish broke out.Â I asked him about that memory and he laughed and said, â€œYeah it was kinda like that.Â I really donâ€™t know what it was all about, but I saw my guy in a sea of white jerseys and I was going in.â€
- It is that mentality that has really earned Drew a lot of respect from his teammates both at MSU and now with the Lions.Â This time next year there is no doubt we will be talking about Drew trying take the job from Kitna and after a shaky start he is having a very good camp.
- CJ was back in practice today and looked very good.Â There are no concerns about him or his health.
- Edwin Mulitalo looked very good today.Â â€œIt feels good to be back and banging some pads.Â I love to compete and that is what really gets you ready.â€
- Jeff Backus to be generous is having a less than stellar camp.Â He was beaten badly on a blitz today from Kalvin Pearson.Â He has not looked good and I will be watching him very closely come the Bengals game.
- Ernie Sims drilled Mike Furrey today when he was crossing the middle.Â Furrey made the catch (doesnâ€™t he always seem to hold on) and even though Sims was not going full tilt it was a monster hit.Â Sims immediately helped him up and it was all good.
- Jared DeVries continues to look good and he schooled Stephen Peterman a couple of times today and they got into it.Â It was nice to see.Â DeVries and White have really owned the Lions OL this camp and it certainly encourages me on the DL, but not on the OL.
- Nick Harris is such a great consistent punter and continues being Mr. Consistent all camp.Â Today during punt practice he consistently boomed the ball and in fact out kicked his coverage on more than one occasion.
- DC Joe Barry (Who I think is fantastic) had perhaps the funniest line of the day.Â (Jared Devries had the best during his altercation with Peterman, but I canâ€™t write that) Soon after the Buster Davis/Kitna skirmish, he yelled at Dizon, â€œYes we have pads on.Â We can [absolutely] touch them.â€Â That brought a nice laugh and broke the ice.
- I wouldnâ€™t get all worked up about the skirmishes at camp.Â It has been a long time between games and guys are fired up and emotional.Â In fact, Marinelli didnâ€™t seem alarmed at all.Â He likes the fire.
- Kevin Smith (regardless of any public statements) is the number one RB and will start in Atlanta.
- Goz is the starting right tackle.Â He will start in Atlanta.Â Regardless of anything you hear that is contrary, he canâ€™t have the job after a three-penalty game, but it is his job.Â
- There is still a lot of anger inside the organization with not getting Takeo Spikes.Â They wanted him bad.Â Once again the Lions were their own worst enemy.Â Marinelli has to many issues to deal with, without having to deal with that.