Nebraska football just can’t have a quiet offseason.

According to Brett McMurphy of The Action Network, the Husker football program and head coach Scott Frost are under NCAA investigation for improper use of analysts and consultants during practices and games.

McMurphy's report also says Nebraska moved workouts “to an undisclosed off-campus location” last year when the NCAA had shut down all workouts due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but it's unknown whether that is part of the investigation.

McMurphy points out that both Jonathan Rutledge and chief of staff Gerrod Lambrecht left the program in the past eight months, but it is unknown if those decisions were related to the investigation.

One possible penalty would be the suspension of Frost for an unknown number of games. The Huskers open the season Aug. 28 at Illinois.

Nebraska "has been working collaboratively with the NCAA to review a matter concerning our football program," said NU Athletic Director Trev Alberts in a release. He and Frost later spoke briefly to reporters, and the video can be viewed below.

Also in McMurphy's report is more information on the Oklahoma scheduling debacle that dominated headlines earlier this year. McMurphy names Frost and Lambrecht as “key proponents” of NU trying to get out of the game, which is contrary to the popular belief that former Nebraska Athletic Director Bill Moos was the one leading that charge. (Frost said Wednesday that he hadn't made a single phone call regarding the schedule.) 

Alberts became A.D. after Moos' abrupt departure earlier this summer. This will be the first notable incident for Alberts to handle as the head of the Nebraska Athletic Department, with how the allegations are handled internally perhaps being even more important than what the NCAA ultimately concludes.

Follow the discussion on the HuskerMax bulletin board, and get more coverage below. Asterisk indicates item may require subscription.

Coverage

Commentary