Danny Etling, a former Terre Haute South High School quarterback who spent two seasons at Purdue, was waived by the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday. The move allowed the NFL organization to make room on its 90-man roster, allowing the team to sign backup quarterback Sean Mannion.
Mannion was a third-round pick of the St. Louis Rams back in 2015 who spent his first four seasons there. Prior to joining the Seahawks, he spent the last two seasons with the Minnesota Vikings.
Etling starting his college career with Purdue where he appeared in 13 games while tallying 2,490 passing yards, 16 touchdowns and 12 interceptions in two years. He then transferred to LSU for the 2016 and 2017 seasons where he recorded another 4,596 yards through the air and 27 touchdowns.
After his collegiate career, Etling was drafted in the seventh round by the New England Patriots in the 2018 NFL Draft. He has spent time with the Patriots and Falcons before being signed by the Seahawks in August of 2020. Etling was a member of Seattle's practice squad last season.
Recent Stories From Boilermakers Country
- BIG TEN DAILY, AUG. 2: Top-ranked quarterback recruit Quinn Ewers will play for the Ohio State this season, four-star wide receiver Darrius Clemons includes Penn State in top three and five-star cornerback Jaheim Singletary decommits from the Buckeyes. CLICK HERE
- ESPN PROJECTS JADEN IVEY AS A FIRST-ROUND NBA DRAFT PICK: Before stepping onto the court for his sophomore campaign, Purdue guard Jaden Ivey is being projected as a first-round talent in next year's NBA Draft. He averaged 11.1 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.9 assists per game last season. CLICK HERE
- BIG TEN PLAYERS SIGN NBA FREE AGENT DEALS: After the conclusion of the 2021 NBA Draft, several Big Ten basketball players have signed undrafted free agent deals. More will look for their opportunity to play professionally in the days following draft night. CLICK HERE
- SEVEN BIG TEN PLAYERS TAKEN IN 2021 NBA DRAFT: Michigan forward Franz Wagner was the only Big Ten player selected in the first round of the 2021 NBA Draft on Thursday night. Six different league players were taken in the second round. CLICK HERE
- PURDUE REPORTEDLY HIRING DAVID ELSON: According to Doug Samuels of FootballScoop, Purdue Football is hiring David Elson to join the coaching staff. He will serve in a defensive quality control type role and has experience as a head coach and defensive coordinator. CLICK HERE