Though Not Playing in Fall, Wisconsin Still Ranked in Preseason AP Poll
The Associated Press (AP) released an updated edition of its top 25 poll on Monday, and yes, the Wisconsin Badgers are still on it.
Wisconsin comes at No. 12 in the poll, placing as the third-highest ranked Big Ten program. It narrowly trailed Auburn for the No. 11 spot by a mere 12 points.
Six conference teams in all are on the AP Top 25. Those include Ohio State (No. 2), Penn State (No. 7), Michigan (No. 17), Minnesota (No. 19) and Iowa (No. 24). Indiana and Northwestern also received votes.
Clemson came in at No. 1 overall, followed by Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia and Oklahoma to round out the top five.
Of course on Aug. 11, the Big Ten announced via a release statement its "postponement of the 2020-21 fall sports season, including all regular-season contests and Big Ten Championships and Tournaments, due to ongoing health and safety concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic."
In the AP poll itself, it denotes with a star which programs are not playing football during the fall. Nine of those 25 teams (the six aforementioned Big Ten, plus three Pac-12) are designated as such. Earlier on Monday, WOZN's Zach Heilprin called out the fact that the number makes it over one-third of the schools in the Top 25. By AllBadgers.com's calculations, it is 36%, to be exact.
One thing should also be taken into consideration, as noted in an Aug. 14 article by Ralph D. Russo and mentioned by the Wisconsin State Journal's Colten Bartholomew on Monday. Those who are voting will only take into account the programs which are playing contests, once those games commence.
More from AllBadgers.com
2020 Wisconsin Watch List Candidates
- Inside linebacker Jack Sanborn: Chuck Bednarik Award watch list and Butkus Award watch list
- Quarterback Jack Coan: Davey O'Brien Award watch list, Maxwell Trophy watch list, Manning Award watch list and Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award watch list
- Running back Nakia Watson: Doak Walker Award watch list
- Tight end Jake Ferguson: John Mackey Award watch list
- Safety Eric Burrell: Jim Thorpe Award watch list and Bronko Nagurski Trophy watch list
- Offensive lineman Cole Van Lanen: Outland Trophy watch list
- Safety Madison Cone: Wuerffel Trophy watch list
- Long snapper Adam Bay: Patrick Mannelly Award watch list
Originally published on Aug. 24, updated on Aug. 25 to add links at bottom, plus provide more information regarding number of schools not playing football .