Jemele Hill got hired by 'The Atlantic' and it caused major confusion for many people.
1. It was announced Monday that The Atlantic has hired former ESPN personality Jemele Hill.
Given that The Athletic is constantly hiring writers away from other sports media companies (Hi, Richard Deitsch! Miss you.), many people immediately assumed Hill was joining the pay site. Of course, people not reading things clearly on Twitter was also a factor, but the bottom line is that anarchy ensued Monday.
Not to pat myself on the back, but I knew right away the mix up was going to be a thing.
I got many replies and DMs from readers and people in sports media telling me they thought she had joined The Athletic until they read my tweet.
Oh snap! Until this moment I thought it was The Athletic— Fabian Silvas (@uofmfabian) October 2, 2018
🤚 until I read your tweet!!!— Jason Howarth (@sportsmktgguy) October 1, 2018
oh my hahhaa I’m a bit foggy this morning & I 100% read the Athletic. Read your tweet again and didn’t get it and had to go back again to see Atlantic 🤦🏼♂️— Señor Darren (@dazunderscore) October 1, 2018
I re-read it 3 times and was confused by your comment before finally realizing it didn't say the athletic haha.— Mark Pelrine (@markpelrine) October 1, 2018
However, I didn't realize someone would actually be so confused they'd cancel their Athletic subscription.
Jemele Hill uses racism, identity politics, and virulent anti-Trump rhetoric to incite and divide. Sad to have to cancel my The Athletic subscription but just did.— Chris McConn (@mcconn_chris) October 1, 2018
It wasn't just haters who made the mistake. Hill fans botched things, as well.
Jemele Hill signing a major blemish on The Athletic.— Franklin S Llewellyn (@LlewSteele) October 1, 2018
Jemele Hill joined the Athletic? I might finally subscribe!— jo pérez (@filistene) October 2, 2018
Best of luck at The Athletic!— ChrisPaulRoney (@ChrisPaulRoney) October 1, 2018
And so did one of the biggest sports media companies in the world.
Things got so bad, even Hill had to send up a PSA.
2. It would be impossible to sum up everything Patrick Mahomes did Monday night, but here's a condensed summary:
Patrick Mahomes has thrown for 192 yards out of the pocket tonight, the most such passing yards in the last 10 seasons.— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) October 2, 2018
Per ESPN, Denver had won 65 consecutive games when leading by double-digits in the fourth quarter entering tonight's game.— Matt McMullen (@KCChiefs_Matt) October 2, 2018
Patrick Mahomes put an end to that.
In Pat Mahomes' worst game as #Chiefs starter, he:— Evan Silva (@evansilva) October 2, 2018
-Snaps #Broncos 38-game streak of not allowing 300-yard passer
- Scores first career rush TD
- Commits 0 turnovers
- Orchestrates 4th-quarter comeback on road vs division foe
- Improves to 5-0 as #Chiefs starter (4 wins on road)
He also saved the game by completing a pass left-handed, and most important, helped the Chiefs cover the 3.5-point spread.
This photo basically sums it all up.
3. It's a new season, so Joel Embiid has new materal. Monday night, he took to Instagram to tell Magic rookie Mo Bamba that he was "BBQ chicken."
4. Scott Van Pelt gives us all a lesson on what is and isn't a bad beat in this week's edition of "Bad Beats."
5. Monday Night Raw was in Seattle this week, so Elias took a shot at the SuperSonics, which sent the crowd into a frenzy. Listen to how long that boo lasted. Also, props to Renee Young for the excellent Detlef Schremp reference.
6. If this is how Brewers slugger Eric Thames celebrates Game 163, I'd love to see what he does if Milwaukee wins a playoff series.
7. RANDOM YOUTUBE VIDEO OF THE DAY: Since 91-year-old Tommy Lasorda partied with the Dodgers on Monday after they beat the Rockies in Game 163, I thought I'd feature a vintage clip of the former L.A. skipper.
Traina Thoughts is the best of the Internet, plus musings by SI.com writer, Jimmy Traina. Get the link to a new Traina's Thoughts each day by following on Twitter and liking on Facebook. Catch up on previous editions of Traina Thoughts right here.And make sure to listen to and subscribe to the SI Media Podcast hosted by Jimmy Traina.
IN CLOSING: I'm just not ready offer a definitive take on the new Monday Night Football booth, but I'll say this: It's not working and the reason is because it's three people instead of two.