We have an early slate on FanDuel today that justifies being played as it has five games on it and the contests are good enough to look at playing it. DraftKings opted to just focus on the Main slate for it's games tonight and that's quite alright by me. Since this is just an early only and one site slate, this isn't the typical Dongers Club article format that you're used too but it'll still cover the plays that I have for the early slate.
The five games on this FanDuel slate and covered in this short article include:
- Colorado at Oakland
- Arizona at Texas
- Washington at Toronto -- This game is being played at Nationals park, but the Jays are the home team
- White Sox at Cleveland
- Cubs at Cincinnati
The slate locks at 3:40 pm EST with the Rockies/Athletics game and the bottom three games don't lock until 6pm EST or later.
Today is the debut of Blue Jays pitching prospect Nate Pearson, who in my book is the #3 pitching prospect in the game behind Mackenzie Gore (#1) and Casey Mize (#2). Pearson pitched during the exhibition/summer camp and looked fairly good after settling in with some nerves in Fenway Park. His $6,000 price tag on FanDuel is absolutely a joke considering we have seen other rookie or no name arms come in at a higher price. But I generally have a rule not to use pitchers making their debut (except I will for Gore) and so I am not going to recommend him here today. But he's legit a stud long term and that price is not too shabby.
The Texas Graveyard stadium is a cheat code for pitching and while one wants to think that it eventually dies off, this isn't the time I am going to consider that. Keep using pitchers here until they put up multiple games with a ton of homers and doubles, which for now -- aint happenin. What's the opposite of a humidor? Because they need one.
Quick thoughts on other guys I briefly considered
- Frankie Montas - I have to see Oakland commit to letting their starters go into the 6th inning before I go back to Oakland pitching this year. Montas only went 4 IP in his first start and while he's a very talented pitcher I don't think there's much reward there.
- Max Scherzer - 47 to 50 points is Max's target today and that is being generous slightly. He'll appear very chalky at his favorable price tag but something about being out of the normal routine as the away pitcher in his home stadium bothers me off him having that elite type Max performance. That and it's just his second true outing of the season makes me very comfortable in not having him.
- Nate Pearson - See above
Chicago White Sox
The Chi-Sox and Cleveland Indians played two yesterday with the Indians taking both in relatively lower (they went under) scoring games. 6pm games in Cleveland always have a way of pissing me off but I love the White Sox against Zach Plesac today in a game to bet the OVER and the White Sox to win.
- TOP: Yoan Monacada, Yasmani Grandal, Francisco Lindor
- OTHER: Cesar Hernandez, Edwin Encarnacion, Franmil Reyes
Hendricks is coming off an opening day gem at home, but has historically been different away from Wrigley. Pair the Reds + White Sox in my mind today.
- Chairman: Yoan Moncada - White Sox
- Favorite Bet: White Sox / Indians Over 9.5
- Contrarian Stack: Washington