The Dongers Club - Sun, Aug 9th
Hey Tampa, try getting your lineup out a little earlier next time... Thanks.
This is a 7 game common-game slate with each site having a different 8th game on them.
- FanDuel will lock early today at 12:35 as they have included the Orioles and Nationals game which starts early on Sunday's for some completely random reason.
- DraftKings will lock at 1:05 as they have NOT included that game but have instead included the 7 inning game 1 of the Braves-Phillies Doubleheader which is not on FanDuel.
Do not blindly avoid the doubleheader game just because it is only 7 innings. First off, you aren't using any pitching there. Second off, the better side to take hitters if you feel safe is the road team since they definitely will get that 7th inning. But worst case scenario you are losing 1 AB for your hitters by losing the extra innings and while that IS a big deal, if we're doing analysis on the batter vs the SP then who really cares about losing an 8th or 9th inning AB against the bullpens? (Even though Phillies BP has been atrocious, they should improve).
SUNDAY AFTERNOON SLATE
Today sets up to potentially have a very nice afternoon slate as well. I do not anticipate either site being generous enough to let me roster more Indians with the 7PM game but there is Jesus Luzardo against Cristian Javier on a Sunday afternoon.
Quiet and clear
Very curious to see what Yankee lineup we get today as Aaron Boone has shown so far in this COVID-19 season that he is resting some of his CORE guys in the final game of series and they're also coming off a DH yesterday and a DH on Wednesday. So they've played 6 games in 4 days and I've been saying that hitters look tired and out of shape for some reason so one might think that a Sunday early game in Tampa after a bunch of games is the right spot to take a chance on this team who does strike out enough to warrant Morton having some good upside.
As for Charlie, he's been good his last two starts out and trending towards a 6-7 inning outing with solid results and he is likely my FanDuel pitcher today.
Some will look at this game and see Sonny Gray as a DraftKings play because of the huge price difference between FD and DK for him today. The Brewers lineup isnt' good and is a heavy strikeout team, just watch out for Yelich homering a day after I touted him. However, if you really want an edge on this game, it's Woodruff who has actually been sneaky good and has a near 30% K rate even against lefties which he'll see today.
The Texas Graveyard unders! Today is a day the Angels will win to get out of Texas without getting swept and if I always love unders (Nope, still not stacking anyone in this stadium) and I love the Angels to win, then my math checks out that the Angels starting pitcher should be our guy. And what do you know, he's
Guys I am not using
- Jake deGrom - Too many other options I am in love with and I am not using him. You don't need anyone to tell you he is good, but you should have someone be honest with you about him and my analysis is that you do not need him today.
- Stephen Strasburg - No way, not in a first start back even against the Orioles. Sorry, no.
- Jose Berrios - You missed his solid start and he's always an up and down guy. Although he does excel in warm temps usually and has done well in KC, I am not going here.
- Lance Lynn - Angels win.
Toronto Blue Jays
Teoscar Hernandez, Bo Bichette
Hey remember how I said pitchers who were out-performing expectations suddenly were getting hammered? Yeah, that fits Nathan Eovaldi to a good description here today. In the 16 IP he has thrown this year Eovaldi has managed to surrender only one home run and over the last three seasons he has pitched (he didnt pitch in 2017) Eovaldi has been well over 1+ HR per 9 innings, including a juicy 2.13 HR per 9 in 2019 -- where he also gave up 4 HR to the Blue Jays in two starts. Safe to say, there'll be a home run in this game today and I'll once again justify using Blue Jays three games in a row much like I did when they went to Atlanta and did nothing until the end of the series.
- Really like Boston and even though I have said they are frauds all season long this is when Benintendi has a chance to get things going. Pressure off him down in the bottom of the order and he gets probably the best match-up he'll get all year with hopefully 2 AB vs Shoemaker and some men on base.
Eddie Rosario, Max Kepler, Miguel Sano
Rookie pitchers man, as much as I want to be a homer with my Royals I won't be blind to the fact that Singer's adjusting to getting hit hard. He was lights out vs Cleveland in his debut EARLY in the season and the Indians overall have been ICE COLD to start 2020 as they rank dead last in ISO. Then he gave up 2 HR to Detroit and 2 to Chicago (Cubs). This will be Singer's first start in Kauffman Stadium and he has to pitch there on a hot Sunday with the wind blowing out against the mighty Twins. Royals aren't sweeping the Twins. Cmon.
Jeff McNeil, JD Davis, Pete Alonso
CitiField overs on Sunday's until the cows come home. Great spot for McNeil and there's not much else at 3B to consider.
Atlanta Braves v Philadelphia Phillies
Freddie Freeman, Marcell Ozuna, Bryce Harper
You are gonna sit here and say WTF? Pay for studs in a 7 inning only game? Hey, go check the Yankees-Rays box score from yesterday afternoon and tell me how that panned out. I really suspect you're going to see folks avoiding this on DraftKings today and I could not get enough Freeman & Ozuna on Friday night before this game was PPD (vs Velasquez) - so absolutely I trust them to be good plays today.
Juan Soto, Eric Thames, Trea Turner, Adam Eaton
They're cold as ice but they can explode at any time in a great hitters park too...
- Mike Zunino ... Those who know. Know. Former catcher vs pitcher he had close bond with..... That and who wants to pay 4500 for Christian Vazquez?
- Tyler Flowers
- Christian Vazquez
- Freddie Freeman - DK only, and yes even at 5500 I like him.
- Eric Thames - FD only
- Rowdy Tellez / Travis Shaw ... Tellez is better in terms of numbers here but Shaw is hitting third and I kind of need him to not suck between Bichette and Teoscar.
- Cavan Biggio
- Whit Merrifield
- Jonathan Schoop
- Jeff McNeil
- Carter Kieboom - FD Only
- Hunter Dozier is BACK
- Jorge Polanco
- Beaux Bichette, all day, every day.
- Adalberto Raul Mondesi Jr.
OUTFIELD - Mt. Rushmore
- Teoscar Hernandez
- Eddie Rosario
- J.D. Martinez
- Randal Grichuk
Outfield - Tier 2
- Ozuna, Harper, Acuna - DK Only
- Jonathan Villar
- Juan Soto
- Andrew Benintendi
Outfield - Value
- Dominic Smith
- Adam Eaton - FD Only
- Matt Joyce is homering off the Mets bullpen dot com
BEST CONTEST REFRESHER
These are the things I look for the most and encourage you to do it as well. We are all going to chase big $ contests w/ multiple lineups and that is fine, but you need balance in your MLB portfolio, so add the Dongers Club Growth Funds:
- 10x to first: This one is going to be hard for many of you but it's the #1 golden rule to staying profitable during the MLB grind. You need these contests mixed in more than you realize. What is 10x to first? It means that the prize for 1st Place which everyone obsesses with is 10x the entry fee. So yeah, that means a $10 contest pays out $100 to first. Or my favorite $100 pays out $1000. You are thinking what's the point? These type of contests usually aren't as common and they're a waste of time, I want my 50x to first!! Well, guess what. You will find that you win these 10x to first contests far often and that type of boost is way better than any other you will find. They're smaller and usually have folks who are late registering their contests in them. Find these. Play these.
- Less than 1,000 Users: Very simple rule. Avoid contests that have too many users. A big misconception is that MME is hard to beat and you cant beat someone with a single lineup if they have maxed out the limits on a contest. Not true. The more lineups they are putting in the chances are more bad lineups as well. It comes down to the TOTAL number of users you have to beat. Fewer is better.
- Get out of the $1 and $3 and $5 contests: If you are living here, you aren't about making money. Sorry.
- Play a 3-man to bust a slump: Yes, they are full of what folks call Sharks. No, they are not invincible. When you're in a slump, play one of these.
- Mike Zunino - C - Tampa Bay Rays - .... sigh ... and yes... Chairman of the Dongers Club
- Andrew Benintendi - OF - Boston
- Teoscar Hernandez - OF - Toronto
- Eddie Rosario - OF - Minnesota
- Trea Turner - SS - Washington
- Freddie Freeman - 1B - Atlanta
- Jeff McNeil - 3B - NY Mets
- Jonathan Schoop - 2B - Detroit
- BONUS ................................. Eric Thames - 1B - Washington