The Dongers Club - July 31st
Wednesday, July 31st
Don't forget to pop over to our PGA content. Mark and Al have been as consistent as Edwin Diaz has been consistent at blowing saves this year. Wonderful way to lose two big win points for pitching last night due to bullpens.
Tonights slate is only eight games.
Dongers Club Appreication Championships Update
Standings through 2 days (with no scores dropped yet)
- chuck2311 - 246
- militiades - 211.45
- BigMac172 - 176.55
All games should play.
- Giants at Phillies ... Lingering rain, could cause rain delay, but expected to play
- Rays at Red Sox ... Same as above. Yes, divisional game, but not too heavy of rain
Griffin Canning was very good again last night against the Tigers, but fading Odorizzi and him for Thor, Bassitt, Musgrove didn't hurt at all. Luckily tonight there's nobody that I need to shit on so lets just jump into what is a good pitching slate.
Pitching as close to his Puerto Rican home-land as he can Berrios has a dreamy match-up against the Marlins who probably are without Garrett Cooper tonight as well. Berrios breakout game tonight? I sure hope so. After tonight he will likely have starts against the Twins, Indians and Rangers. If the Twins are going to win the AL Central then now is the time for Berrios to step up as their ace and all indications look good for Berrios right now. He's coming off a start against Oakland where he labored early and ended up throwing 113 over 5 2/3 IP while giving up 3 walks and 5 hits. The Marlins don't pose near that threat with a sub .300 wOBA vs RHP and a league low 6.5% BB rate. 7 innings, 0 ER, 11 strikeout upside with Berrios tonight -- so long as they dont pull him for a pinch hitter early.
- COMPS: deGrom -- Yeah, this is a good match-up for deGrom as well and he doesn't have to worry about being pulled for a PH being in an AL park. That said, I'm all in on Berrios, so if you go deGrom then its paying up for both pitchers and chasing a 70 point pitching night. Update ... Yoan Moncada out for the White Sox. deGrom and Berrios dead even with deGrom the chalkier option. This is definitely a scary fade, but one I'm still willing to take.
The Cubs and Cardinals series got off to a snoozing start last night, so this is a spot I want to target for pitching today and Kyle Hendricks has been the Cardinal slayer. His last four starts against the red birds dating back to July of last year have resulted in 4 wins and only 5 runs over 31 innings pitched. Three of those were in Wrigley-ville, but even on the road in St. Louis Hendricks is definitely viable and his recent form is very good. I'm not expecting a clean game all around but he's a good safe mid range pitching option tonight.
- Consider Mikolas on the other side in this game as well for cheaper.
What a change of events for Lyles who will go from bad chalk against the Cardinals, to the guy that everyone was going to stack against on Monday and now he is a recommendation of mine? Yep. Lyles had great success when he was in San Diego pitching in a very pitcher friendly park and tonight in Oakland he has that benefit and also a team who is a very good match-up for him. He struggles with lefties and the only lefty here to worry about is Matt Olson. For his price, Lyles should give the Brewers a good game tonight and for DFS a good value play on DK.
DK PITCHER PAIRINGS RANKED
- Berrios & deGrom ... All things considered, obviously the most points here.
- Berrios & Lyles
- Berrios & Hendricks
FD ARMS RANKED
Projected Chalk: Rangers
As soon as Drew Smyly left the game last night the Giants lefties (pinch hitting) started to go off. Told you the Phils cannot get LH bats out -- especially at home and tonight Vincent Velasquez is the next in line to give up some dongs. The Giants are cheap as well and this is a huge park shift. The only fear really is if Jason Vargas is used out of the pen for the Phillies against some of the lefties here tonight but that to me even feels like a longshot. Alex Dickerson has been mashing anything that doesn't move and if Vinnie has to throw him a fastball then you can best believe it's gonna leave the park in a hurry.
- Focus on the lefties ... Dickerson, Belt, Crawford, Panik, Sandoval
Texas was just okay last night, but in 2019 MLB DFS terms they underperformed without hitting the long ball. Today should prove to be much better. Wade LeBlanc will be starting from the get go and this is a spot Texas runs him and then the lefties pile it on as well.
- Andrus, Pence, Santana, Forsythe, Calhoun
Nobody will have the Twins tonight, but an elite HR team like Minnesota has a ton of upside against Sandy Alcantara who has been very generous over the past 6-7 weeks with giving up the long ball. He managed to escape damage last start against Arizona, but even in this huge ballpark tonight I'll trust the power of guys like Garver and Sano who are dead red mashers and Sandy's fastball has been terrible. Miguel Sano checks every box on the board for me today.
- Garver, Sano, Polanco, Kepler
If the pitching was more of a value slate then these guys would be more favorable plays for me tonight. Better options on FD.
BOS -- Mookie, Devers, Travis, JBJ
HOU -- Springer, Altuve, Brantley, Alvarez, Reddick
Below are the plays that I will be looking towards for my main lineup tonight.
Really tough to pay 4k+ on catchers when touting Berrios and deGrom as pitching options. But there's some good plays here if you decide to not take the Jeff Mathis 2k punt play.
- Stephen Vogt ... You may barf at Stephen Vogt for $4400, but there's a reason for it. Philly cannot get LH batters out at home.... Lemme clarify. They cant keep the ball in the park vs LH batters at home....
- Mitch Garver
- Manny Pina
- Brandon Belt ... Do not ask how pissed off I was when he hit the PH homer. I honestly almost played him just for that last night... sigh.
- Matt Olson
- Danny Santana (2B elig on DK)
- Carlos Santana
Very thin position as expected and Altuve remains the best play here with his recent resurgence, but I don't have him listed because i'd rather pay down here tonight with the higher priced arms on this slate.
- Joe Panik
- Austin Nola
- Robel Garcia
Documented my love for Sano above and he'll have to overcome a red hot Raffy Devers who is likely the chalk play of the night here.
- Miguel Sano
- Raffy Devers
- Pablo Sandoval
- Brandon Crawford
- Jorge Polanco
- Javy Baez
OUTFIELD - Mt. Rushmore
- Michael Brantley
- Yordan Alvarez
- Alex Dickerson
- Hunter Pence
OUTFIELD - Tier 2
- Avisail Garcia ... Playing well and seems to murder Boston in general.....
- Max Kepler
- Eddie Rosario
- Andrew Benintendi
OUTFIELD - Value
Beacuse of the fact that I am paying up on pitching tonight I went deeper here than normal. It makes lots of sense to have some value one offs in your outfield spot just to allow you to get the CORE bats that you want and here's some guys I would consider for that.
- Jon Jay ... Only 2800 on DK and well, hopefully he gets an AB vs the Mets bullpen?
- Lorenzo Cain ... Lorenzo Cain will go down as one of my all time favorite players. He plays with passion, excitement, was a good hitter, an excellent defender and a great clubhouse guy. But he is done, finished, caput. That said, I do think he has one more big game in him against Brett Anderson.
- Josh Reddick ... LiC
- Jason Heyward ... Mikolas good HR upside
- Adam Haseley ... Best park on the slate.
- Alex Dickerson - OF - Giants
- Miguel Sano - 3B - Twins
- Mitch Garver - C - Twins
- Michael Brantley - OF - Astros - LiC
- Andrew Benintendi - OF - Red Sox
- Javier Baez - SS - Cubs
- Danny Santana - 1B - Rangers
- Joe Panik - 2B - Giants
- BONUS ................ Pablo Sandoval - Giants