It's a Friday and so this article is being done in that sweet, sweet, sweet time window of 2PM on a Friday afternoon with the thoughts of a delicious cold beverage waiting for me when I complete the write-up and begin to lock in those lineups. I'm going to just come right out and say that I was way off base yesterday and it was just a typical Thursday for me. I was annoyed with the FanDuel selections and still am, but that's okay my loyal Dongers Club readers, that is juts okay, because you know what today is? it's a Luis Castillo Friday!
We also have a nice NL East match-up as Chipper Jones teams will meet today as the Mets travel to Truist Park to take on the Braves with the wind blowing out to LEFT FIELD.
These 2 teams will definitely benefit from that 8 MPH wind as they begin a 3 GAME SERIES
After sucking in Atlanta and I comp'd them to Camden Yards, the Rays do travel up to Baltimore to take on the Orioles, there's some weather issues here but someone page Evan Longoria, where's.... son of a bitch, why isn't Evan Longoria back on the Rays....
Oh well. I'm struggling to come up with a theme on this game but I really gotta pee right now, which makes me think of how the Orioles pitching will feel come Sunday once they see Hunter Renfroe up at bat again ...
The Chicago White Sox will take on the next Royals rookie in Kris Bubic.
Bubic is one of the four Royals young arms that they drafted who hopefully some day will form the next coming of the Atlanta Braves solid staff from the 90's or the Oakland A's staff in the early 2000's.
Or they'll just all get COVID-19 and never amount to anything in life.
Yes, there is a game in Coors Field today too, remember that place?
It's where Wil Myers becomes a legend and I'm not talking about DFS people on Twitter claiming to be Lawyers or Semi-Pro Ping-Pong Champions or some shit...
ON with the Friday Dongers Club!
Rain could delay or PPD the Rays-Orioles game, but I do not expect it to actually PPD.
Decent winds blowing IN at Wrigley, during a night game which is just fucking weird for a Friday.
It is a mid range day on DK because I swear to God everyone is the same price except for .....
I start with the hyena himself as those of you loyal readers will recal how I used that painful GIF above to reference what Castillo would do to an opponent on a Friday last season. It didn't end well for him. He got murdered and was a disaster, which from that point forward coined the phrase "Castillo'd" and associated it with that GIF. Today Castillo is INSANELY under priced on DraftKings considering he draws Detroit and their lineup is loaded with a bunch of nothings. Should you fade Castillo simply because of ownership? No. But you should consider that he did just see these same Tigers a week ago and things NEVER go as well the second time in one week for the pitcher. That said, he struck out 11 over 6 innings in that game and should be good for another 5+ innings and 8+ strikeouts today -- which at $8,000 on DK is good.
If not for the massive strikeout potential on Castillo, Keuchel would be the #1 pitcher on this slate for me. He owns the Royals, having gone 18 innings with 23 strikeouts over his last three starts (18-19) versus them and I'm also pleased that he went 5 1/3 in his first start this year against the Twins. The soft tossing junk that he throws will mix up the Royals best bats today and you can lock in a 6 inning performance in a low scoring game at the K.
Fuck it. That's the button I just hit here. The wind is blowing in significantly which has benefited Darvish in Wrigley (where he quite frankly has been jinxed in winning). He's also the exact type of pitcher (no sliders) who should get through this Pirates order without many hiccups. Hell, we saw Kyle Hendricks throw a gem on opening night in Wrigley so I am officially starting the Wrigley Friday Night UNDERS theory and putting it to the test with Yu Darvish.
Seriously, if you are playing the FMK game with the cast of Friends and you decide to Kill Rachel then you have issues and I am not saying that Monica has to be Killed either, so do the math.
Outside of the Box Play
Now that I have put the jedi mind trick on you with a Jennifer Anniston GIF above to convince you to play Yu Darvish, I will go to the donkey outside of the box play today in Lance McCullers Jr. against the Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles who are without new father Mikey Trout today and have been swinging early in counts -- which is a PLUS for McCullers who likely is still a bit limited in how long he would go normallly. 6 innings and 6 strikeouts with 0 ER for McCullers tonight as our late night hammer outside of the box play.
A few thoughts on guys I am not using
- Sean Manamanah ... Dooo Dooo, Dooo Dooo Doo.... Manea.... Dooo Doo, Doo, Dooooo Do Do Do Dooo Dooo... Who is the chalk? Manaea.... Who is the bad chalk? Manaea.... Who doesn't get to see the 5th inning? Manaea... Who's the donkey play play play plaaaay??? mmmhmmm. mhhmmmm.hmmmm.... MANA-MANAEA
If you are in a big contest today then you are clearly not reading my comments on which contests to play or you are just ignoring me -- which is fine because I ignore myself half the time too. So be smart about pairing chalk hitting with chalk pitching. You dont need to consider ownership or pricing on either but you do need to factor it in when combining the two together. Example, don't combine Castillo and the Padres today, it's just pointless in a HUGE tournament. I have three teams I am HEAVY on today and they are as follows.... You should follow too. I have a good feeling. If these guys dont come through then I will make the annual Dongers Club Appreciation Contest Tournament top prize $1,000 if Taysom Hill scores against Tampa Bay in week one.... wait, what?
Matt Chapman, Matt Olson, Marcus Semien, Sean Murphy
Taijuan Walker is a break out candidate this year????? And this Fastball throwing machine is gonna do that versus Oakland????
With Coors and a game in Camden on the same slate + the Yankees at home vs Boston we should no doubt see the Chapman-Olson-Davis-Semen stack come out hard and fast in their game against the Mariners tonight while everyone else has passed out. Play Krush.
Freddie Freeman, Ronald Acuna, Marcell Ozuna, Travis d'Arnaud
Rick Porcello? Outdoors? Coming off a decent start? What's the catch here? This was the first spot I looked at when I saw the slate, then my model even popped the Braves (who I will say are expensive on DK) as the top stack of the day and I gave a nice little lower lip out head nod in approval rating on this one. I understand we prefer the Braves against lefties, but this is always a high scoring series -- trust me. While I cannot say that I approve of Swanson hitting 2nd with Ozzie out, I most certainly will approve of the Marcell Ozuna home run and .... oh boy. Travis d'Arnaud.
TAMPA BAY RAYS
Brandon Lowe, Willy Adames, Yandy Diaz, Hunter Renfroe and Brandon Lowe.
One cannot hype up the Rays in Camden a day before they get there and not recommend them. So here we are. It's humid as shit in Baltimore and if you don't have Rays on your main lineup and you don't put a second lineup in with Rays tonight then just stop reading because why are you here? Maybe not 5 Rays, but a minimum of some Rays today is in line.
Other Spots to consider
- Coors - But not the Padres. The only Padre you should consider today is Wil Myers and you are welcome. The Rockies on the other hand? See below.
- Travis d'Arnaud
- Sean Murphy
- Mike Zunino - Full disclosure, I have not played him the last two days I have mentioned him, but he also hasn't homered and I consider that ... SUCCESS
- Freddie Freeman
- Matt Olson
- the only other 1B I would consider is against one of my pitcher recommendations, so lets juts move on and not talk about it before the Bell rings....
Every lineup I have will have Brandon Lowe except for the late night slate lineup which will have Altuve.... so there.
- Brandon Lowe
- Jose Altuve
- Nolan ... Arenado ... King of the wild Frontiiiiier.
- Matt Chapman
- Rafael Devers
- Willy Adames
- Dansby Swanson
- Fernando Tatis Jr
OUTFIELD - Mt. Rushmore
- Hunter Renfroe
- Khris Davis ... Dong-Dong... The Krush will make ya... Dong-Dong... Uh Huh Uh Huh....
- Marcell Ozuna
- JD Martinez - Nobody will have Boston today and they'll win before getting MURDERED Saturday and Sunday.
Outfield - Tier 2
- Ramon Laureno
- Charlie Blackmon
- Mark Canha
Outfield - Value
- Kole Calhoun
- Yo! Cespedes.
- Kevin Kiermaier / Manny Margot
BEST CONTEST REFRESHER
These are the things I look for the most and encourage you to do it as well. We are all going to chase big $ contests w/ multiple lineups and that is fine, but you need balance in your MLB portfolio, so add the Dongers Club Growth Funds:
- 10x to first: This one is going to be hard for many of you but it's the #1 golden rule to staying profitable during the MLB grind. You need these contests mixed in more than you realize. What is 10x to first? It means that the prize for 1st Place which everyone obsesses with is 10x the entry fee. So yeah, that means a $10 contest pays out $100 to first. Or my favorite $100 pays out $1000. You are thinking what's the point? These type of contests usually aren't as common and they're a waste of time, I want my 50x to first!! Well, guess what. You will find that you win these 10x to first contests far often and that type of boost is way better than any other you will find. They're smaller and usually have folks who are late registering their contests in them. Find these. Play these.
- Less than 1,000 Users: Very simple rule. Avoid contests that have too many users. A big misconception is that MME is hard to beat and you cant beat someone with a single lineup if they have maxed out the limits on a contest. Not true. The more lineups they are putting in the chances are more bad lineups as well. It comes down to the TOTAL number of users you have to beat. Fewer is better.
- Get out of the $1 and $3 and $5 contests: If you are living here, you aren't about making money. Sorry.
- Play a 3-man to bust a slump: Yes, they are full of what folks call Sharks. No, they are not invincible. When you're in a slump, play one of these.
- Travis d'Arnaud - C - Atlanta Braves - Chairman of the Dongers Club
- JD Martinez - OF - Boston
- Freddie Freeman - 1B - Atlanta - Co Chairman
- Khris Davis - OF - Athletics - Not 1 but 2.
- Brandon Lowe - 2B - Tampa Bay
- Nolan Arenado - 3B - Colorado
- Willy Adames - SS - Tampa Bay
- Hunter Renfroe - OF - Tampa Bay
- BONUS .............. Cole Kalhoun - OF - Arizona Diamondbacks (Yes, I did that on purpose and yes, I am drinking)
[video width="1280" height="720" mp4="https://fulltimefantasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/output.mp4"][/video]