Okay, it's official. I have given my NHL articles a name and while it's not the best in the world, it should rival Rob's Point shot..... No? Okay, we're not the most creative bunch here for names but welcome to the Slapshot...
Thursday's slate brings us 8 games as we continue to get a nice steady diet of games each night which has made this a fantastic NHL DFS week to break down. It continues tonight as we have nobody on a back to back from last night so no reason to over think some of the rest spots here today.
TOP LINE TO TARGET
Winnipeg Jets One ... Mark Scheifele, Blake Wheeler, Nikolaj Ehlers
While Patrik Laine continues to get all the hype (and he deserves it), we should remember that we're leaning on Laine on the road and the Scheifele-Wheeler duo at home. The Blackhawks looked atrocious defensively the other night and it appears they're going to continue to sell off assets as much as they can this year. The should start by selling off Corey Crawford jersey's as best they can because he didn't help their poor defense the other night at home and should be in for a rough spot tonight assuming he gets the draw in net for the 'Hawks. Winnipeg is a dominant team at home who has a strong power play and should get 4+ goals tonight on home ice. They are pricey, but they're a great way to anchor your lineup tonight.
OTHER TOP STACKS
VGK1 - Karlsson, Marchessault, Smith
NSH1 - RyJo, Forsberg, Watson
CLB1 - PLD, Atkinson, Panarin
BUF1 - Eichel, Skinner, Reinhart
New York Rangers vs Ottawa Senators
As bad as Ottawa is, the Rangers are near them defensively and the one thing the Senators have shown lately is that they're offensively a good team to get exposure too in what have been some high scoring games. These teams just met and it was the Rangers winning at home 4-2, but tonight the tide should turn to the Senators and the second line of White, Tkachuk and Stone is a good value line that's playing well of late.
For the Rangers I would focus on exposure to Zibanejad as a one off in UTIL on DK but I don't really like any one line that they have skating together right now. So Zibanejad and Pionk (D) would be my one off plays from New York.
KEY THREE - ONE OFF WINGERS
Cam Atkinson (DK: $7200) - Columbus ... This game is only a 5.5 OU total which will drive some away from it and it has two of the bigger 'name' goalies in it but make no mistake Cam has thrived all season long, is white hot and is in a spot to bounce back after letting some folks down when Columbus went off the other night without him getting a goal. Back on home ice I would look at Cam Atkinson as your top one off winger to must have tonight.
David Pastrnak (DK: $7700) - Boston .... Pasta broke out of a mini slump with two goals against the Leafs the other night and while skating without Bergeron will hurt him for a while he remains one of the top scorers this season and someone to pay up for as a one off versus the Islanders tonight. I'm not super high on this game but he is the one off from Boston to consider.
Bobby Ryan (DK: $3800) - Ottawa ... When searching for value one offs we should go to the spot that appears to be the 'game stack' and come off the lines that will be stacked. The reason for not going for one of the top lines in a popular game stack game as one offs is because it would be playing against yourself to consider someone like Mark Stone if his entire line is 20% owned. Let's say OTT2 is 18-20% owned (likely high, just using it as an example) and they score. Great, you got points for Stone scoring the goal, but everyone else who has Stone also has White and Tkachuk -- who likely drew some assists. So now by having just ONE of those guys you are stuck moving BACKWARDS despite getting positive points. So going with a player from that popular line means you should have 2 of them at minimum. This is where we jump on a game that should have plenty of goals but get a one off where nobody is stacking the entire line and thus we are on Bobby Ryan
- Willie Karlsson & Jonathan Marchessault - VGK ... Vegas is on an absolute tear right now and with Nate Schmidt back in the lineup they're playing better all around. I like Schmidt actually as a value play here tonight along with the Wild Bill line with Marchessault and Reilly Smith. This is a fantastic late night hammer that remains under priced.
- Ryan Johansen & Filip Forsberg - NSH
- Connor McDavid & Leon Draisaitl - EDM ... The overall scoring tonight seems lower than normal and I think that makes taking the safety of McDavid worth while if you fade the Jets tonight.
- Jack Eichel & Jeff Skinner - BUF
- Brayden Point & Nikita Kucherov - TB
- Colin White & Mark Stone - OTT
- Eric Staal & Jason Zucker - MIN ... The price on Zucker is too cheap for someone who I think will start to heat up here and in a spot where we want to get some action on the Wild at low ownership it would be his line to focus on for me today.
- Matthew Barzal & Josh Bailey - NYI
- Roman Josi - NSH ... Consider Ryan Ellis for cheaper as well
- Dustin Byfuglien - WPG ... Likely OUT
- Victor Hedman - TB
- Seth Jones - CLB
- Thomas Chabot - OTT
- Neal Pionk - NYR
VALUE OPTIONS: Nick Leddy (NYI), Oliver Ekman-Larsson (ARI), Nate Schmidt (VGK)
- Connor Helleybuck - WPG ... Best overall play if you can afford it.
- Pekka Rinne - NSH ... Both Rinne and Helley are your win plays of the night but Rinne wont see as many shots as Helley will, so he is lower ranked for me. That said, if anyone pulls a shutout tonight, it's Pekka....
- Cam Talbot - EDM ... The Kings are not good.
- Louis Domingue - TB ... Domingue is facing the white hot Sabres but he is at home and I think Tampa wins this game today.
LONGSHOT: Robin Lehner - NYI
LINE LOCK OF THE NIGHT: Scheifele-Wheeler-Ehlers
TOP ONE OFF STUD WINGER: Cam Atkinson
TOP ONE OFF VALUE WINGER: Bobby Ryan
MULTI POINT DEFENSEMAN: Roman Josi (NSH)
Islanders/Bruins UNDER 6
Wild/Jackets OVER 5.5
Knights/Canucks OVER 6