Thursday, November 30th
Only seven games tonight, which is light for a Thursday.... One thing I did notice today as I put together lineups was that I found a scare amount of value plays that I trusted which meant I really preferred to go balanced lineups and not try to pick the stud one off guys like Connor McDavid, Auston Matthews, Patrick Kane and Alex Ovechkin, etc.....
Predators ... The Preds/Canucks game has sneaky fantasy upside written all over it. The Preds top line has been producing consistently of late and tonight you can go a couple different combinations with Ryan Johansen, Viktor Arviddson, Filip Forsberg, Roman Josi and P.K. Subban. The trio I think you'll see with the most ownership is RyJo-Arvidsson-Josi out of that group and that's my trio given their cost and consistent production. For full upside, add Forsberg.
Wild ... The Wild continue to play in higher scoring games over the last few weeks and that's expected given Bruce Boudreau's history of teams being higher scoring. The matchup is really good at home tonight against Vegas who got shutout at home the other night against Dallas. Minnesota has three lines that are pretty good and have reason to consider stacking tonight. The main focus line for me is Staal-Niederreiter and to pick a defenseman, preferably Ryan Suter with Spurgeron sitting out the last game. If you want to cherry pick a TEAM stack instead of a line stack, add in Jason Zucker.
Leafs ... Edmonton remains last in the NHL on their PK% and the Leafs are among the best in the league on the power play. The Auston Matthews and Connor McDavid matchup is going to draw all the fan-fare in this game, but it's Nazeem Kadri and James van Riemsdyk who are together at full strength and also on the top power play unit. Pair them up with Morgan Reilly for the tic-tac-toe power play stack.
COMBO'S & ONE OFFS
- Sean Monahan & Johnny Gaudreau (Flames)
- Evgeny Kuznetsov & TJ Oshie (Capitals)
- Henrik Zetterberg & Gustav Nyquist (Red Wings)
- Henrik Sedin & Daniel Sedin (Canucks)
- Willie Karlsson & Jonathan Marchessault (Golden Knights)
- Connor McDavid & Milan Lucic (Oilers)
- Clayton Keller & Oliver Ekman-Larsson (Coyotes)
- Roman Josi / PK Subban
- Morgan Rielly
- Dougie Hamilton
- Ryan Suter
- Oliver Ekman-Larsson
- Oscar Klefbom
- Devan Dubnyk ... Best favorite goalie on the board tonight. Dubnyk has missed a few games but is going to be back tonight and as I mentioned above I expect the Wild to continue a hot offensive pace against Vegas tonight. The shot volume may be low for him in tournaments today but I love him in cash games.
- Corey Crawford ... I don't like either the Stars or Hawks much tonight. Note, the Hawks have burned me offensively and Bishop and the Stars are coming off a good game at Vegas the other night. So this is more a spot where I'm fading the skaters for other options and thus Crawford becomes someone I am considering to take the home favorite. Chicago should win here, and Crawford makes for a nice tournament upside play
- Jimmy Howard ... Howard is the best value goalie on the slate tonight. Montreal comes in unable to score on the power play and really struggling in 5v5 as well, not to mention they're on a B2B and Howard's been really good at home this year. Detroit should win, and Howard is discounted.
LINE LOCK OF THE NIGHT: Ryan Johansen, Filip Forsberg, Viktor Arvidsson (Nashville)
ONE OFF STUD WINGER: Johnny Gaudreau (Calgary)
ONE OFF VALUE WINGER: Milan Lucic (Edmonton)
FAVORITE DEFENSEMAN: Roman Josi (Nashville)