Roy's announcement came the same day that a shareholder in a rival Quebec Major Junior Hockey League franchise withdrew a police complaint alleging Roy committed assault last week in a fracas outside an arena. "I have decided to join the team again," Roy, who is coach and co-owner of the Memorial Cup-defending Remparts, told a news conference at the Colisee in Quebec City.
Roy had previously indicated he was contemplating his future with the team in the wake of the media coverage of the assault complaint by Pierre Cardinal of the Chicoutimi Sagueneens.
Roy allegedly was involved in a shoving incident after the two teams hooked up in a game last Friday in Saguenay, Que.
But Roy made it clear he was buoyed by the support he received after the incident, which grabbed headlines and led newscasts in a province where the former Montreal Canadiens great is still revered by many.
"I was really shaken up and certainly it put in jeopardy the future of what I was doing," Roy said.
"I was extremely disappointed in a lot of things. When I started receiving phone calls and seeing the support I had, it made me realize there are a lot of people who appreciate what I am doing."
Roy did not give his version of what exactly happened last Friday, stating several times "there will be no comment regarding the incident."
And Roy steadfastly denied ever trying to seek preferential treatment or using his high profile to sway the league or the plaintiff.
League president Gilles Courteau, meanwhile, said security will be improved outside arenas.
"We will set up security measures for teams when they arrive at and when they leave the rink," Courteau said.
Roy, for his part, said he doesn't believe Sagueneens fans will bait him when the Remparts next visit Saguenay.
"There are great fans in Chicoutimi (Saguenay)," Roy said. "Security will be better, that's all."
Remparts assistant coach Martin Laperriere was relieved by Roy's decision to stay.
"The whole thing has caused a lot of distraction within the team," Laperriere said.