OK, most of us laughed when web editor Edward Fraser used his mid-round picks in The Hockey News playoff pool to select some San Jose Sharks grinders.
Torrey Mitchell, Patrick Rissmiller and Ryane Clowe, he announced proudly. Yeah, sure, you can have them all Edward, we chuckled.
Well, Mr. Fraser is right on one front. Clowe has shocked the hockey world with four goals and eight points in the seven-game series victory over Calgary. We didn’t think he’d be healthy enough to play at such a productive pace.
Here’s the top 10 active and hot playoff performers who surely weren’t drafted in most playoff pools. They have at least three points apiece and have done better than some first-round picks.
Regular season points are in parenthesis.
10. Steve Begin, Montreal 3 pts (8)
9. Jordan Leopold, Colorado, 3 pts (13)
8. Stu Barnes, Dallas, 3 pts (21)
7. Ruslan Salei, Colorado, 3 pts (30)
6. Joel Lundqvist, Dallas, 4 pts (13)
5. Scottie Upshall, Philadelphia, 4 pts (28)
4. Patrice Brisebois, Montreal, 5 pts (11)
3. Loui Eriksson, Dallas, 5 pts (31)
2. Stephane Robidas, Dallas, 6 pts (26)
1. Ryane Clowe, San Jose, 8 pts (8)
The Top 10 appears Wednesdays only on thehockeyenews.com. If you enjoy this feature, subscribe to The Hockey News magazine for the exclusive countdown, Starting From 10, and other great features from the world of hockey.
Enter THN’s Free Playoff Challenge for your chance to win a 2008 Harley-Davidson Night Rod Special Motorcycle. Contest closes at the start of the third round.