Now that Doris Claman’s famous theme song for Hockey Night In Canada has moved to CTV and TSN, the CBC will be looking for a new jingle for its popular Saturday night show.
CTV reportedly paid $3 million to secure the rights to “dunt- da-dunt- da-dunt.” Our best advice to the CBC is to secure a popular retired jingle from the 1970s or ‘80s and make it Hockey Night’s. It can’t be that expensive.
Perhaps the theme song closest in Claman’s dunt- da-dunts is Barney Miller’s (1970s sitcom) dun, da da dun jingle. There are no lyrics to memorize. Give it a try. If not, here are 10 others.
10. Barney Miller theme song, in the key of F, heavy bass. (Dun, da da dun, da da dun, da da da da da dun…).
9. Irish Spring soap jingle. “It’s manly, yes, but I like it, too.”
8. Coca-Cola jingle from the 1970s. “I’d like to teach the world to score in perfect harmony.”
7. All In The Family theme song. “Boy the way Ryan Miller played…”
6. Raisin Bran jingle. “There’s two scoops of Cherries in every package of Hockey Night’s Coach’s Corner.”
5. Alka-Seltzer jingle. “Boom boom, crash, crash, oh what a relief it is.”
4. Mary Tyler Moore theme song. “Who can turn the tube on with a smile?…”
3. Dukes of Hazzard theme song. “Justa good ole boys, never meanin’ no harm…”
2. WKRP in Cincinnati theme song, with Bob Cole singing. “Oh Baby, have you ever wondered; wondered whatever they’ll do with me…”
1. Oscar Meyer Bologna jingle. “This show it has a first name, it’s H-O-C-K-E-Y, this show it has a second name, it’s N-I-G-H-T. Oh I love to watch it every Saturday and if you ask me why I’ll say…”
The THN.com Top 10 appears Wednesdays only on thehockeyenews.com. If you enjoy this feature, subscribe to The Hockey News magazine for the exclusive countdown, Starting From 10, and other great features from the world of hockey.