The names and faces change from year to year as does the unfolding drama. But some things remain the same at each and every NHL draft.
It all starts when NHL commissioner Gary Bettman steps up to the podium to address the local crowd. It wouldn’t matter if Bettman just finished pulling a bunch of babies out from a burning building, he’d get booed.
Predictably, Bettman will counter with some kind words for the local NHL organization and the great fans of that team. The response will be a smattering of applause. Welcome to the NHL draft.
Here are 10 things you’re sure to hear June 20 in Ottawa:
9. “With the first pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, the Tampa Bay Lightning select, from the Sarnia Sting of the Ontario Hockey League, center Steven Stamkos.”
8. “We think he’s a very special player.” (Even though it’s an individual speaking, ‘he’ uses the word ‘we’ with regularity because it’s all about ‘the team’ in hockey.)
7. “We’d like to congratulate the Detroit Red Wings organization on their Stanley Cup championship.”
6. “Hello to our fans at the draft party back in...”
5. “I’m going to work hard in the summer, give 110 percent in training camp and see what happens.”
4. “We’re very proud to select…”
3. “We’d like to congratulate Igor Larionov and Glenn Anderson on their recent induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame.”
2. “We had him ranked higher. We didn’t expect to get him where we did in the draft.”
1. “We’d like to thank the city of Ottawa, the Ottawa Senators organization and the fine fans of Ottawa for hosting these festivities.”
The THN.com Top 10 appears Wednesdays only on thehockeyenews.com. If you enjoy this feature, subscribe to The Hockey News magazine for the exclusive countdown, Starting From 10, and other great features from the world of hockey.