The Toronto Maple Leafs incredible flame out against the Boston Bruins in Game 7 of the first round of the 2013 playoffs was astonishing to watch, but imagine how it must have been to be on the losing end?
Joffrey Lupul shared his feelings on Twitter at the time, a sentiment that leads our top 10 quotes of 2013.
1. "That hockey game will haunt me until the day I die." – Lupul.
2. “Some guys are more worried about their Vegas trip at the end of the season than playing the games, than playing every minute of the games. Quite frankly, I don’t care about your Vegas trip right now.” – Colorado goalie J-S Giguere, whose team was last in the NHL in the shortened 2013 season.
3. "We don't care what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say." – Montreal's Brandon Prust on Ottawa coach Paul MacLean during the first round of the 2013 playoffs.
4. "Probably not. Their depth and our play right now…it doesn't look too good." – Then-Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson, when asked if his team could come back from a 3-1 series deficit against Pittsburgh.
6. “Because he stinks on the power play. He stinks. I don’t know why. I wish I could put him on the power play, but every time I put him on, he stinks.” – then-Rangers coach John Tortorella on left winger Carl Hagelin.
7. “I wish that we could tumble them in the dryer for 30 minutes and get them to shrink, but that won’t happen.” – Calgary coach Bob Hartley at the prospect of playing Anaheim, San Jose and Los Angeles on a road trip.
8. "I don't think so. Anyways, I don't spend money. My wife spends money...sorry wife." –Mikhail Grabovski, when asked if his new contract was affecting his play.
9. "You guys just here to blame someone. You never look yourselves in the mirror, eh? You're always good. You never make the mistakes. Your articles are always perfect. In reality, what have you done for this city? If you ask yourself, what have you done besides only criticize? Not much." – then-Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov to the Philadelphia media.
10. “There are three zones in the ice surfaces in this league. I don’t see that he’s learned to play and compete in two of them. He’s got to learn there’s a clock in this league and there’s so many minutes in the game and that you’ve got to compete through all of it.” – Calgary's Brian Burke on rookie Sven Baertschi.