Red Sox activate Napoli from DL

DETROIT (AP) The Boston Red Sox activated first baseman Mike Napoli from the 15-day disabled list and put him in the starting lineup for Sunday night's game at Detroit.

Napoli had been out with a sprained left finger and hadn't played since May 23. To make room for him on the active roster, Alex Hassan was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket.

Boston right-hander Clay Buchholz, who is recovering from a left knee problem, threw three simulated innings, and manager John Farrell said he came out of it fine physically. Farrell says it will be important to get Buchholz some game activity.

Farrell also said third baseman Will Middlebrooks, who is out with a broken right index finger, has started hitting.

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide—from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Andy Staples, Grant Wahl, and more—delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.