David Ortiz and the Red Sox could be just a few days away from an extension that would keep the slugger in Boston for at least another year. That's according to ESPNBoston's Gordon Edes, who reports that there's "little doubt" the two sides will agree to a new contract in the near future. Edes notes that Ortiz's agent, Fernando Cuza, is currently in Fort Myers (the team's spring training home), and so is Red Sox majority owner John W. Henry. When asked whether things looked good for a new deal, Ortiz simply responded, "Yes."
A new contract would put a wrap on the 38-year-old Ortiz's offseason request to keep him in Boston, where he's been since 2003, past this coming season. Back in January, Ortiz made waves when he told a Boston radio station that he wanted a new long-term deal from the Red Sox, or that it would be "time to move on" from Boston. He later clarified that he was only seeking a new one-year deal for 2015 for $15 million.
"I think it's going to be OK," Ortiz told reporters back on Feb. 19. "Conversations are good. My bosses are more than happy to talk about what we're talking about. They're trying to get this out of the way so it doesn't begin to be a distraction."
Ortiz's last deal was a two-year, $26 million contract signed before the 2013 season; this season, he'll make $15 million thanks to incentives he reached for 2014. Last year, Ortiz hit .309/.365/.594 in 600 plate appearances to help Boston complete a worst-to-first turnaround, capturing the American League East and then the pennant. In the World Series against St. Louis, Ortiz hit a scorching .688/.760/1.188 with two homers and six RBI, leading the Red Sox to their third title in ten years and winning series MVP honors in the process.