Klitschko chooses MSG for next fight
IBF and IBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko told SI.com on Thursday that he will return to the ring in February at Madison Square Garden.
Though he has not selected an opponent, Klitschko's camp has initiated talks with representatives of WBO champion Sultan Ibragimov, who successfully defended his title against Evander Holyfield last Saturday in Moscow.
The 31-year old Klitschko has grown frustrated in recent years with his inability to secure championship fights. Since defeating Chris Byrd for the heavyweight crown in 2006, Klitschko has fought three times against marginal heavyweight contenders, most recently a sixth round TKO over Lamon Brewster.
"My goal has always been to unite the titles," says Klitschko, regarded as the top heavyweight champion. "I'm getting tired of the politics though. I want to fight."
Klitschko's brother, Vitali, also is preparing a return to the ring, possibly as early as January. The elder Klitschko, who hasn't fought since the end of 2004, was forced to withdraw from his scheduled fight with Jameel McCline earlier this month after undergoing back surgery.
Vitali Klitschko says he plans to fight one tune-up fight before taking on the winner of WBC interim champion Samuel Peter and Oleg Maskaev early in 2009.