"The entire track and field world is fascinated to see what this guy can run for 200 meters, considering his unreal 100-meter gold medal run and the fact that he used to be a 200 specialist," says
Same here. The 200 final (featuring Americans
• Now it gets serious for the U.S. men's basketball team. It plays Australia in quarterfinal action (8 a.m.), an interesting game given that the U.S. had a tricky time with the Aussies in an 87-76 exhibition win in Shanghai two weeks ago. (Bucks forward
• The games not involving the Redeem Team are even more interesting. Croatia holds a 3-2 record over Spain, including an 85-84 victory in the 2007 European Championships.
• Greece beat Argentina at the '04 Olympics, the last time these two teams played. Argentina's
• The U.S. women's softball team, winners of 23 straight, plays Japan in the semifinals (9:30 p.m. ET Tuesday night). Earlier in the tournament, the U.S. rolled Japan 7-0 in pool play. The U.S. men's volleyball plays Serbia in the quarterfinals (9 a.m.).
The action at the Bird's Nest is terrific in addition to the 200:
• The women's hammer throw final (7:20 a.m.) is the first medal on the program. SI picks
• The men's pole vault qualifying starts at 8:40 a.m.
• The women's 400 hurdles final (10:35 a.m.) is a showdown between
• Bicycle motocross, better known as BMX, begins at 9 p.m. The event features a quarter-mile-long obstacle course with a 30-foot high start hill and curves and jumps to help riders hit 40 mph. The competition starts with men's and women's seeding runs. The U.S.' No. 1-ranked BMX rider in the world is
"We don't think about numbers. The only numbers we think are about are 21 [points, to win a set], winning in two sets and finishing No. 1."
"We get a chance to step up to the plate and take a swipe at big dog -- that's the way I look at it."
"I do not know what happened. I should not have lost. I beat him before. To lose to a guy like him is terrible."
"When it comes to ridiculously misguided rules and regulations,