Rumor Roundup: Carmelo, Lakers, draft
Some quick news, moves and views from around the world of pro hoops.
1. New York star Carmelo Anthony could get traded and at least one teammate wants him back. "I love him here," Lance Thomas told the New York Post. "Carmelo fights for his teammates,’’ Thomas said. “He loves to win. Every player in this league, when losing happens, frustration builds up and we’re in the biggest market in the world. Everything is under a magnifying glass here. But he has a passion for winning and bringing it under the biggest microscope."
2. Point guard Trey Burke isn't sounding like a man with plans to return to Washington. Burke is a restricted free agent. "I’m disappointed. I stopped playing. I felt like I could have helped this team out,” Burke told the Washington Post. “I’m sure a lot of people always say that and I’m sure everybody else believes that too. It’s not just me or my opinion. I’m disappointed in it, but it’s fuel to the fire this offseason. I’m looking forward to getting better and coming back stronger."
3. Taking part in an optional Lakers workout (per Mike Bresnahan): Brandon Ingram, Ivan Zubac, Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson, Larry Nance Jr., David Nwaba and Tyler Ennis.
4. Read: When your team has the No. 2 overall pick and you're a young player, it's probably best to show up for those "optional" workouts.
5. Per ESPN: "LaVar Ball said Wednesday that if Nike, Under Armour or Adidas wants to make a deal with his Big Baller Brand now, the asking price is $3 billion. He also explained that he sees no need to market his products to women. In a wide-ranging, sometimes contentious interview with Fox Sports 1’s 'The Herd with Colin Cowherd,' LaVar Ball reiterated that he wants his son, NBA prospect Lonzo Ball, to play only for the Los Angeles Lakers and revealed he has sold 400 to 500 pairs of $495 ZO2 shoes since they launched two weeks ago."
6. Power forward Ivan Rabb of California will work out for the Bucks on Thursday, per ESPN.
7. North Carolina's Tony Bradley was the biggest name at a Knicks workout Wednesday. Others were Arizona's Kobi Simmons, Florida's Kasey Hill, Oregon's Tyler Dorsey and NC State's Omer Yurtseven.
8. The Kings announced the following draft prospects will attend a workout Thursday: Landen Lucas, Naz Mitrou-Long, Brynton Lamar, Wesley Iwundu, Eric Mika and Tai Webster. The Kings own the Nos. 5, 10 and 34 overall picks.
9. Also, per HoopsHype, the Lakers will host a workout Thursday for the following draft prospects: Isaac Hamilton, Zak Irvin, Davon Reed, Trevon Bluiett, Chance Comanche and Jaylen Johnson.
10. Kent State forward Jimmy Hall and Wisconsin guard Bronson Koenig both have a number of teams locked in for workouts. AmicoHoops will have more details as those teams emerge. There's been nice interest on both prospects. Here's more on Hall.
11. Finally, the latest Dribbles: In this series, no one is beating Cavs.