Within the span of a few hours, the Kings made and then quickly withdrew a four-year, $50+ million offer to unrestricted free agent guard/forward Andre Iguodala, according to multiple reports.
USA Today Sports and Yahoo! Sports both reported Tuesday night that Sacramento reversed course after it initially looked like Iguodala, who spent last season with the Nuggets, had been targeted as a replacement for Tyreke Evans, who is reportedly being courted by the Pelicans. Iguodala reportedly wasn't immediately willing to commit to Sacramento's offer, so the Kings pulled it and walked away from the proverbial table.
"WOW!!!! Really?? Ok," Iguodala tweeted cryptically, less than an hour before news of Sacramento's reversal broke. "MOTIVATION!!!!!!"
Free agency officially opened on Monday, July, 1 at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time. Although teams and players can begin having contact as of July 1, deals cannot be officially consummated until the end of the free agency moratorium on July 10.
Adding a layer of intrigue to the unusual negotiations: New Kings GM Pete D'Alessandro was a Nuggets executive from 2010 until his hiring in June.
New Nuggets GM Tim Connelly, hired last month to replace 2013 Executive of the Year Masai Ujiri, who left for the Raptors, told reporters that re-signing Iguodala was his top priority this summer.
“I’m very optimistic,” Connelly said in June, according to the Denver Post. “I think he’d be hard-pressed to find a more attractive situation than ours, and I think he feels the same way. He’s a key cog to an excellent team. I feel great about getting him back into uniform.”