With arguably the two most high-profile head coaching positions open in the NBA at the same, the coaching carousel has been unusually busy since the regular season ended in April.
The New York Knicks have already engaged in an extremely public pursuit of TNT broadcaster Steve Kerr, who ultimately decided to sign with the Golden State Warriors. Since Kerr's decision, Phil Jackson and comany have gone back to square one. In that vein, here is a look at all of the coaches who have reportedly been linked to the Knicks' job (in alphabetical order):
New York Knicks candidates
- Bill Cartwright - Interviewed; considered to be candidate for assistant job.
- Jim Cleamons - Former assistant under Jackson, has expressed interest.
- Mike Dunleavy - Reported discussions with Phil Jackson; "hopes" to get Knicks job.
- Derek Fisher - Knicks reportedly waiting until completion of Thunder season before formally approaching.
- Rick Fox - No formal interview; Would "love to coach Knicks."
- Fred Hoiberg - Reported interest on New York's side.
- Mark Jackson - New York "open" to bringing in for discussion; Recently signed deal with ESPN.
- Tyronn Lue - Former player for Phil Jackson; will reportedly receive consideration.
- Kurt Rambis - Reported consideration.
- Brian Shaw - Speculative interest from Knicks; Nuggets have stated "no circumstance" where he won't be back.
- Tom Thibodeau - Reports that Thibodeau "would only leave" Bulls for Knicks.
- Jeff Van Gundy - Happy to "talk basketball" if New York calls.
- Luke Walton - Former player for Phil Jackson; will reportedly receive consideration.
On the other side of the country, the Los Angeles Lakers have stayed out of the limelight since Mike D'Antoni resigned, but there is no shortage of interest in their extremely attractive job:
Los Angeles Lakers candidates
- John Calipari - Reported interest from Lakers side.
- Mike Dunleavy - Interviewed for the job.
- Derek Fisher - Reported interest after the Oklahoma City Thunder finish their playoff run.
- Alvin Gentry - Will interview in the near future.
- Lionel Hollins - Expected to interview this week.
- George Karl - "Expects a call" from Lakers; College roommate of Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak.
- Kevin Ollie - Reported interest from Lakers side; Ollie agreed to long-term extension with UConn.
- Kurt Rambis - Interviewed for the job.
- Byron Scott - Has interviewed; Feels he is "perfect fit" for job.
- Roy Williams - Attempted to quell rumors by pledging allegiance to collegiate coaching.
More SI.com NBA playoff coverage
STERLING COVERAGE: Why NBA won’t allow Sterling’s wife to control ClipsGreatest upsets NBA playoffs fashion LeBron’s best playoff games