The NFL's request for a copy of the investigative file on the Adrian Peterson child abuse case was denied, reports Brent Shrotenboer of USA Today Sports.
"The NFL very broadly asked us to provide what we could," Montgomery County prosecutor Phil Grant told USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday. "We gave them a copy of the indictment which we give in response to any open records request. That's it."
Peterson was indicted last week on a felony charge of injury to a child after he allegedly hit his four-year-old son with a switch. Peterson's attorney, Rusty Hardin, has refuted other child injury allegations against Peterson.
The NFL and commissioner Roger Goodell have recently come under fire for what critics allege was negligent handling of the investigation into Ray Rice's alleged assault.
Last week, Goodell said he had never seen the video showing Rice striking his then-fiancée, now-wife, Janay Palmer. An earlier report from TMZ.com, which leaked the video, said Goodell never asked the casino to see the video.
The Associated Press later reported that a law enforcement official said he sent the video to an NFL executive in April. The official told the AP he could not confirm whether anyone watched the video.
The NFL has asked a former FBI director to head an "independent" investigation into the league's handling of the Rice case.
The Baltimore Ravens terminated Rice's contract after the video was released. The NFL also suspended him indefinitely.
In a statement Monday, Vikings owner Zygi and Mark Wilf addressed the decision to reinstate Peterson. Peterson also released a statement in which he said, "I am not a perfect parent, but I am, without a doubt, not a child abuser."
Peterson, 28, has been selected to the Pro Bowl six times and has led the NFL in rushing twice.
- Chris Johnson