March 13, 2015

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) Miami Dolphins newcomer Jordan Cameron says he's eager to continue his NFL career despite three concussions in the past three seasons, including one that forced him to miss five games in 2014.

The Dolphins lured Cameron away from the Cleveland Browns with a $15 million, two-year contract. At an introductory news conference Friday, the former Pro Bowl tight end was asked about his concussion history.

''If it was a concern for me, I wouldn't be here right now,'' Cameron said. ''I've seen a lot of specialists and talked to a lot of people, and it's cleared. My baseline is the same as it was six years ago. There is no cause for concern on my end for this, and the Dolphins felt the same.''

Cameron chose the Dolphins over an offer from the Browns, and he said other teams also pursued him. Even so, he said his concussions might have hurt his market value.

''In this day and age, it's kind of a sensitive topic in the NFL,'' he said. ''And for the right reasons - they're looking out for the players. I think it might have hurt, but at the end of the day I wanted to be here, and it's a good deal.''

Cameron, who made the Pro Bowl in 2013, gives Miami a possible replacement for Charles Clay. The Dolphins put a transition tag on Clay last week, but he's being courted by the Buffalo Bills.

Cameron said he never had a verbal agreement with the Browns to remain in Cleveland, but he was involved in discussions with them as late as Thursday while he was visiting Miami.

''That's NFL free agency for you,'' he said. ''The Dolphins were aggressive and talks were heating up, and the Dolphins were pretty adamant about bringing me here. I wanted to be here, and that was one of the things, the mutual agreement. We made it happen.''

---

AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and http://twitter.com/AP-NFL

You May Like